new rainbow fish dead

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

davy 1983

Aquarium Advice Activist
today i bought two rainbow fish, to go with the four iv already got, but when i nipped out to go somwhere one had died, i took it back to the lsf and they tested my water which was fine, so they replaced the fish for me, so i added the replaced fish into the tank, all seamed good, so went out for the shopping then when i came back both the new fish and replaced fish were dead! dont understand how though, i tested the water again and my levels were fine, phoned the lfs back an told them about it, told me to bring in the fish and a sample of my water again for them to test again, has anyone got any ideas what it could be?

How long did they have the fish before they sold them to you? Long enough to make sure they were healthy and had recovered from the trip?

Any fish in there that could possible be killing them? Do you see and injuries on the dead fish? He must not be happy with new residents

il definitely be asking the lfs how long they had them, they said on the phone a few months but il try find out more today, all the other fish didnt bother them as soon as they went in they were at the top most of the time when they did swim they were clumsy and swiming on there sides, do you guys think there could be lack of oxygen in the tank or somthing? iv recently added more plants, but then all the other fish are fine,

well just got back from the lfs and there as baffled as me, tested my water which was again fine, they said there rainbows have been in the shop for months with no problems, so they have given me a credit voucher for the money iv spent and to try again in a couple of weeks after iv done a couple of part water changes, its a strange one, will keep you updated, cheers guys

Out of curiosity, how did you acclimate them to your tank?

i turned the lights off, put the bag with the fish in my tank, rolled down the bag a little and added small amount of my aquarium water every 5mins or so untill it was mostly my water in the bag, then released them an hour later, all other fish iv done this with are fine.

If they've had the fish that long, they should've exhibited symptoms of disease (or whatever) before you brought them home.

It seems you acclimated properly but it would be interesting to know if they would have survived in a quarantine tank environment.

What else is in this tank?

Back
Top Bottom