New Swordtail Constipated

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chenyi

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just added a new swordtail to my tank a few days ago. I also have 3 brilliant rasboras and a cory catfish. It's 10 gallon tank. The swordtail is pulling long strings of poop. I've been feeding them flakes and the other fish are fine, but maybe the swordtail has different dietary needs? I fed him some peas and he was fine for a little bit, but when I went back to flakes, he went back to super-long poop. Should I swap out the flakes for something else or do the pea thing routinely or is there something I'm missing?

Not all flake foods are created equal. Do your research and find one that might work better.
I use Omega One Cichlid Flakes and Omega One small grain Cichlid sinking pellets.

Yeah, I'm actually using Omega One Freshwater Flakes. Maybe he just has to get used to it? I dunno. I'm trying to be consistent and not just throw a bunch of random stuff in there.

As long as he continues to eat and otherwise act normally, probably nothing to worry about. If he stops eating, time to get him out.

Still having this problem. I have the Omega One freshwater flakes and the TetraPro Goldfish Crips. The other fish seem to be fine with either one. But after one meal, the swordtail is pulling a string of poop that is longer than he is! I have been giving them peas on alternating days. That fixes the problem quickly. But this hardly seems normal. I have to find a different kind of food that keeps everybody happy.

Could be an internal problem?? If you are adamant it's food maybe try Omega super veggie flakes. I usually feed this twice a week to my omnivores for digestion reasons.

Also either try using live brine shrimp from a lfs, or raise your own from eggs. They are usually readily devoured.

They tend to be nutritious but also have a bit of a laxative effect.

I like to deworm all new arrivals in my QT tank as have had some negative experiences, even from well regarded breeders with internal parasites.

Back
Top Bottom