New tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

B0105

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone,

I need help again. My mother, bless her heart, saw that I was enjoying my 20 gallon tank. So while I was in class today she bought me another 20 gallon tank which she already stocked with fish!!!!!

I'm surprised that the pet store didn't warn her about cycling but there you go. Now I'm stuck with a brand new tank with 8 brand new guppies and 2 small snails....

I'm not sure what to do since to help the fish survive the cycling. I'm doing daily water changes of about 20-30%. I'm keeping the feeding to a minimum. I also borrowed a used bio wheel from my friends empty tank and let it float in the tank to help cultivate the bacteria.

What else should I do? The fish are starting to hang out by the bubbles and the surface a lot and are getting listless and darting around in circles.

By the way I have considered moving the guppies to my older tank but then it would be really overstocked.....

Is your older tank fully cycled?

It is but it just finished about a week ago.... But even then I had problems because it was my very first tank so I was still learning :-(

It is but it just finished about a week ago.... But even then I had problems because it was my very first tank so I was still learning :-(

Too bad it's only just finished. I would have recommended taking some of the filter media from it and putting it in the filter in the new tank. But you don't want to mess with it for a bit I'm thinking. Wait till it's settled.

Looks like you'll be doing a fish-in cycle on your new tank. Just keep testing the water daily and doing water changes to keep the levels in check.

I've been changing about 3-4 gallons out of 20 gallons. Is that okay?

I've been changing about 3-4 gallons out of 20 gallons. Is that okay?

It all depends on what your readings are. If the ammonia and nitrites stay below 0.25 then 3-4 gallons is enough. If they go higher then you will need to do bigger and more frequent changes. Say if your ammonia is 0.5 you will need to do a 10 gallon change to get it down to 0.25.

Good luck! Maybe you can seed from you older tank in a week or two.

Enjoy the new tank!

Thanks again for your help. I just checked some of my levels and they seem within limits. Only the ammonia is a little high at .20

Yesterday the fish were only swimming only at the top but they they are swimming freely around the entire tank.

Thanks again for your help. I just checked some of my levels and they seem within limits. Only the ammonia is a little high at .20

Yesterday the fish were only swimming only at the top but they they are swimming freely around the entire tank.

No problem. Just one short year ago I was on here asking for help with my new tank.

I'm happy to hear they are doing well.

Back
Top Bottom