Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-15-2012, 09:06 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Another ich outbreak - argh !!!!!

Update:

I waited 10 days, dropped the temp back to 80 and then did a 50% water change the next day. 2 more days and another 50% water change. Another 3 days and a 50% water change left 12.5% of the salt that I put in. I had vacuumed the bottom 4 or 5 times more.

The fish have been very healthy with no sign of any disease at all. All in all it had been over 2.5 weeks since treatment and all seemed good. If there was still ich in the tank, the remaining fish would show signs of the parasite, right?

I got another Diamond Tetra and 2 small Ottocinculus (just over 1") and added them to the tank. Everything was great for exactly 10 days...

Then I saw a few small white spots on the new Tetra, nothing on the others. The spots are on its back and near the tip of its Dorsal fin. It definitely looks like ich.

This had to come with these fish from the LFS. I tell you, I am getting very frustrated with this. Each and every time I fight and conquer a disease, I get a few new fish and 8-10 days later - ich. I think that I may be done with this particular LFS !!!

So, yesterday as soon as I saw the spots, I cranked the heater back up and added 2 tbsp of salt. I noticed this morning that the temp was still 79 and the heater light was on - the heater was dead (4 months old) !!! So I added 2 more tbsp of salt and went to the LFS for a new heater. I installed the new heater and set it to 86. Then this afternoon I added 2 more tbsp salt, the temp was up to about 84.

Now tonight the temp is stable at 86 and the fish seem to be doing OK. I'm not sure about the to Ottos as they hide out most of the day. Hopefully the salt and heat won't kill them.

This is just getting crazy. I don't have the space or $ for another tank to quarantine new fish for weeks at a time before adding them to the general population. Surely this is not normal to deal with new diseases every month or so.... ????

Argh !!!!

Tags
cotton, cycle, cycled, dyi, dying, fish, fungus, led, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com