New tank, goldfish not adjusting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Deminox

Aquarium Advice Regular
Lfs had a black friday sale, 20% off everything. So i got my goldfish a 40gal long tank as the size of their 29gal seemed to not be roomy enough.

Since the new tank had to go where the old tank was, i got a 15 gallon tupperware bucket, washed it out, and drained half the water until it, then scooped them in. Added an airstone to reduce the stress.

Then i drained the rest of the 29gal, moved it out of the way, and put the new stand and tank in place. Transfered gravel, plants, decos and filters. Added 10 gallons of tap water, one gallon at a time, then added enough stresscoat for the whole 40 gallons to kill any chlorine so my beneficial bacteria in the substrate wouldn't die. (hopefully the 10 gallons of tap didnt do that, it took about 10 minutes). Then i added 5 gallons of the old water, then filled the rest with new water, got airaition going, the filters and one of my two airstones.

When full it took 3 hours with the heater on for the temp to equalize, in the meantime i was adding small amounts of the new water into their bucket to drip accilmate any difference.

Added enough aquarium salt for 20 gallons not 10, as i have live plants, and added the ph neutralizer as my tap water is slightly higher than the tank ends up being.

Total of another half hour and transferred my goldfish into the new tank. They acted stressed, which is normal. They ate a bit. And.. That's it. They have been bottom sitting in the corner all night and all day. Like a true uncycled crashed tank would do to them.

When i transfered goldfish from a way too small 10 gallon to a 29 gallon using the same method they sat for no more than a few hours.

Is there a risk i killed too much beneficial bacteria? And is there a product that can establish it faster than API quickstart? ( which i am out of, but will be bringing home tonight after work)

Do you have any ammonia test strips or drops?
You can buy carbon/zeolite or you can buy "Ammo lock" chips at most petcos and petsmarts. They can help keep the water ammoia free while a tank re-establishes itself, with no so many pesky water changes.

Alsol you should have washed the gravel out, or replaced it. You are not transferring 100% BB in the gravel, your also transfering all their poop.

I use the amonia liquid drop tests. Same with nitrite, nitrate, ph, and kh. I don't trust the strips.

As for the gravel, i didnt wash, but i did sift out with a strainer in their old water, after doing a thorough gravel vac the day before. I know it cant get all the settled waste, but it seems to get a lot, there was almost no water clouding from the transfer and what did cleared up in a half hour. (the first time i did a tank transfer i didnt sift the gravel, just scooped with a cup, and man what a mess.)

I bought the fluval cycle today, and texted the breeder guy i know. He said give them 48 hours to settle, not 24, since they spent their whole lives in the 29 gal, vs the last time i did a tank transfer the fish only spent a few months in a smaller tank.

The amonia tests fine right now, but if there is a problem with the bacteria i think it would be too early to see, im going to test every day for a week and watch for any spikes.

Ill look for the ammo lock chips tomorrow when the stores open, thanks for the tip on those

Sent from my VS986 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It was the PH. Normally out of the tap the ph is about 6.9 and the tank is 6.8, tested the tank, ph was 7.2, no wonder the poor lil guys are stressed. Using neutralizer to sloooowly bring it back to normal. Don't want to double shock them!

Sent from my VS986 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom