new tank is failing...help please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RG5384

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
The setup: 20 gallon Long tank, millennium 2000, aqua clear 20, wallmart "plant and aquarium light". I came home from work tonight to find two of my fish dead. I honestly cannot remember what they are called for the life of me, but i will do my best to describe them. They are smaller, like to be kept in schools(i had bought 3 to start and was planning on getting 3 more), they are silver with a black triangle that starts about halfway back and runs all the way to where the fin starts. I noticed yesterday they werent as active and were just sitting at the bottom kind of "spazzing". The tank has been running for approximately a week and a half. Nitrite is at zero, ammonia is also at zero, neither ever spiked. One thing i should mention is that i am using a saltwater testing kit for both levels, but i figure they should work the same right? I used all new substrate, and a new carbon unit for the millennium. I used the existing carbon unit for the aqua clear though as i didn't have a new one to put in. I treated the water using API stress coat and Stress Zyme. Thanks guys,
Ryan

How long has the tank been set up? And are you using test strips or a master kit. There are some differences in the readings between a saltwater and freshwater kit. I found that the strips are not accurate so your ammonia or nitrites could be high. Also, did you use a cholrine reducer or binder such as Stress Coat when you put the water in? Finally, any spots or other forms of disease?

Do a water change of 50% as soon as possible. Also add declorinator such as prime when doing water changes. I prefer prime as it is concentrated and is actually cheaper in the long run. A week and a half is not long enough to have had your tank cycle. I don't know the exact differences between SW and FW kits but I do know they show different readings on the cards in my Hagen kit.

How did you cycle your tank? Did you feed the bacteria with pure ammonia/fishfood/unseasoned shrimp or anything? Did you make water changes? How often did you test the water? How long have the fish been in the tank?

Don't get too upset. It really just sounds like your tank is not fully cycled. New tanks just take time to get settled down. Don't buy any expensive fish for a while, do your regular water changes, and just be patient.

My feeling is that it takes several months at least for a new tank to become established, even longer for a diverse range of benefical bacteria, algae, and planktonic organisms to find their balance.

Well, i think i'm about to lose another one. I have no noticable levels of nitrite, ammonia, or nitrate in the tank. I dont understand how i can have no nitrite or ammonia, and also have no nitrate, either. This is the same thing that was happening with my previous salt setup, i seriously am starting to think that something in the tank is "tainted". After i lose these next two fish(which i'm sure i will, and the LFS will not take them back, i checked), i am going to buy another 20 gallon tank new, and rebuild both filters entirely. As well as THOUROUGHLY clean everything in the tank that will be re-used. The only thing I can think of is that i had previously used copper in my first salt setup to try to kill an ich problem that i had, and perhaps there is still lingering copper around? Would a test kit from the LFS be able to pick up on even minute amounts of copper? would minute amounts of copper even cause the problems that i am having?
thanks,
Ryan

edit: i did do a 50% water change yesterday.

trace copper isn't going to hurt fish. copper is toxic to inverts like shrimp, corals, starfish, but fish aren't so delicate.

Get new test kits. Whatever you're using isn't working, as you didn't cycle the tank yet so you should definitely have ammonia...and by this point, nitrite might be showing up in small amounts.

Well the one fish is still hanging on. It doesn't look abnormal at all, but he just kinda hides in the corner of the tank. The only time he comes out is to chase the other one around. On a side note, the smaller fish is currently swimming back and forth as fast as he can through the filter currents, its actually rather amusing to watch. Is that normal behavior? This should be his bedtime, the light has been off since 10pm or so...(the light is normally turned on at noon)
Ryan

Do some more frequent PWC's til you get things under control. Get a FW test kit. Don't think a SW kit would be very accurate for FW at all. As for the fish, does Rasbora sound familiar? Your description of the fish sounds like a type of rasbora possibly.

The fish swimming in the current is quite normal. Mine love the current as well, and when they get tired, they just go to another part of the tank. It's great watching them.

yes! they do look like a rasbora. I googled them and found alll sorts of differant types, i guess there are a bunch of differant types of those suckers. I actually found both of the fish that i have under searching for "rasbora".
Ryan

Back
Top Bottom