New tank tiger barbs dying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jgparker

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Need helP new tank tiger barbs dying

Hello, I have a new 75 gallon tank with a mairneland 400 and a 250 watt heater. I started with 4 1.5" tIger barbs two of them died. I brought back them back gOt two more. I waited a couple days and bought 4 more green tiger barbs. They all died with in three days. I felt horrible had to bring them back and got 4 more tiger barbs. 1 died with in a day. I understand that I'm going through cycling, but when I'm testing I'm not reading anythingin the 3 n's my ph is 7.8. I did use a start smart. Any help would appreciated thank you.

Your tank is not cycled from what you are saying so you need to stop buying fish and get the water parameters right... there are tons of cycling forums on here to look over

I understand that the tank isn't cycled and I have read alot of the forums in addition to some books. Tiger barbs are supposed to be a hardy fish. A good fish for fish in cycle. I should be seeing ammonia but I'm not.

Again your tank isn't cycled and you obviously have some water issues if the fish keep dying. So I suggest you stop wasting money and killing fish for one. Get a test kit API master kit is what most use.

Check your Ammonia,Nitrites,Nitrates and pH.

I did the same thing thing and "thought" I was ready and took a lot of ill advice from LFS's I was lucky and got away with it. Doing a fish in cycle is not hard but takes a lot of attention and commitment.

Water changes, sometimes 2-3x a day and test test test!! Always know your water condition.

I had to fast my fish a few days among other things. I also got some filter media,gravel and decor from a well established tank to help seed my un cycled tank.

There are a lot of good people here that will help you if you let them. But buying fish after fish after fish and just watching them die isn't the answer or the right thing to do. Slow down and listen what some of the members here have to offer. I did! And I'm very very happy I did!!

Good luck.

Convict has it right on - there is very clearly something wrong with your water if things keep on dying.

My suggestion is that you bring a sample of your water in to the local fish joint and have them test it all - most likely they'll be able to identify the issue pretty quickly...

I did use start smart but don't know how smart it was.

If you followed the directions, it should've worked. It's really the only one that I've heard does any good.

I've never used it, but presume you'd have to add a lot more fish than 4 tiger barbs to cycle a 75 gallon tank.

We need to know your exact readings for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. If anything, you should certainly be registering a reading for ammonia.

If you haven't read this, please do: I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?!

Is this a brand new or used tank? Do you have any live plants? Substrate? Do you have any pictures?

I'm relatively new to the forum as well but I've noticed the more information you can provide the more people here are able and willing to help you out.

Also you should bring in a sample of your water to the place where you're getting your TB's and have them test your water and see if they get similar results or if it's completely different.

I have the API test kit and been testing. The lfs have been testing the water too but they use the strips and they say the water is fine . I tested today 11/18 and it's the first time I'm reading no3 it's .25 ,0 nitrites and the nitrates are 5.0 . There are 7 tbs in the tank right now . I'm starting to test 2 times a day.

Convict has it right on - there is very clearly something wrong with your water if things keep on dying.

My suggestion is that you bring a sample of your water in to the local fish joint and have them test it all - most likely they'll be able to identify the issue pretty quickly...

Everyone please note that just because the store did the test doesn't mean they did it with a reliable test kit. Most just use the strip tests which are not that accurate, but are cheap. Make sure to find a shop that uses the API Master test kit, or just buy one. Oh ya also test your coming out of the tap. Also use Prime to make your life easier :)

Back
Top Bottom