New Tiger Oscar Unhealthy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

T1m

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I recently purchased a new Tiger Oscar, he is about 1.5"-2" long. Ever since I put him in my tank he has been laying on his side and has zero appetite. I tried to feed him a pea but he refused to eat it even when i put it in front of his mouth. He looks like he is struggling to swim. Since he's so small I have him in a 10 gallon but I have a 55 gallon set up that is almost complete. I have done a 50 percent water change every day for the last 3 days and have scrubbed the tank and changed the filter cartridge early. Any suggestions?

Edit: Water temp is 75

When did you buy him..Oscars are well known as being drama queens. Do you see any white dots or a film on it? Try increasing the water temp to 78-80F.

Just re read the post, is this 10 Gallon tank Cycled? Are you using a water conditioner?

Yes i squeezed filter bacteria into it to try and cycle it and i just raised the temp from 75 to a little under 80. I have the 55 gallon set up in my room now, i just need to pick up a filter and heater which I am doing tomorrow. I'll take a picture of the oscar, I'm not sure if he has any white spots on him, I believe he does not though.

Edit: I'm using treated tap water

I upped the temp, did another water change, added more bacterial water from the filter screen, and the oscar is starting to swim a lot more! He's eating now as well! Is it normal for the oscar to swallow a large pellet, spit it all out into little chunks, and eat the little chunks? Can't wait to get him in the 55 gallon, what filter would you recommend? I'm looking at the Emperor bio wheel 400.

I upped the temp, did another water change, added more bacterial water from the filter screen, and the oscar is starting to swim a lot more! He's eating now as well! Is it normal for the oscar to swallow a large pellet, spit it all out into little chunks, and eat the little chunks? Can't wait to get him in the 55 gallon, what filter would you recommend? I'm looking at the Emperor bio wheel 400.

I like the Emperor 400, I have one and a 280 on my Hex, 2 380 Penguins too. I have 2 Aquatop internal Filter one with my 60 and one in my 35 Hex.

and yes they are messy fish....

amazon has a good prices on MarineLand filters.

For your set up IMO I would do

An Emperor 400 (41.99)

Amazon.com: Emperor 400 Pro Series Bio-wheel Power Filter - Up to 90 gallon, Rite Size "E": Pet Supplies

and a AquaTop Internal (in water) Filter. (19.99)

Amazon.com: Aquatop IPF-305 Aquarium Internal Filter: Pet Supplies

Then get some SeaChem Matrix
Amazon.com: Seachem Matrix Bio Media 1 Liter: Pet Supplies

(you put that in the extra Plastic holders in the Emp and some in the Internal. It gives you surface for the Benfical Bacteria to go on.)

Then Slide in 2 bags of Purigen after the Plastic Media holders.

Amazon.com: Seachem Purigen 100ml: Pet Supplies

This is my set up and I have Crystal Clear water...I also use Seachem Prime. Get a Liquid Test Kit (no Strips) API is one I use it's ok..., there are others.

PM me if you have any additional question on my set up, I'm sure others have other opinions but this have been working for me for months and once the tank is cycled it is Stable and like Clockwork.

look at an aquaclear 110. i have a penguin, and aquaclear, and the aquaclear seems to be a better filter. thats my opinion

I have an Aquaclear 70 as well, running side by side to a Penguin, I will admit they are quiet and easy to select media but the Penguin has better flow IMO, Also the AquaClear is a pain to prime when you shut it off to do PWC. For Africans I prefer the AquaClear for the messy Oscar ,I like the Emperor and Penguins....but my real Find is that Aquatop Internal Filter....it is rates 350gph for 19.99...I might use one for a Pump for a home made canister filter I might DIY.

just ordered everything you recommended, thanks! How would you go about the cycling of my tank? Should i get water in their now and put some cooked shrimp in it?

There is two Schools of thought here....

Fish in
Fish-in Cycling: Step over into the dark side.

or Fishless

Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium

Here is a great overall read on getting started....

Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium

I use Stability by SeaChem in my tanks (Some on the forum Don't agree and state it doesn't work) I use it ,works for me and I've set up three Tanks with it all cycled with a Fish in Cycle and did not lose any fish. Using your Seeded material your 10 gallon, use it in the filter you purchased and use the Shrimp I guess. Refer to the Fishless cycle link for info on that. I would not start until you have everything set especially the Test Kit.

Alright well It's going to be about a week before that stuff all comes in, I'm just going to have to continue changing the water every day and carefully caring for the oscar, he's starting to swim against the walls of the tank, He really needs to be in this 55 gallon set up. How long on average would it take to cycle the tank and make it ready for the oscar once I get everything?

Thanks,

Tim

Hard to Say, if you use the Seeded filter Media from the tank he is in now that will help, if you do a Fish in Cycle. I have cycled three tanks Recently using Seeded material, and Stability it took about a month doing 2 weeks Fishless using flake food and 2 weeks with fish. Lots of Partial Water changes along the way but all tanks are different....

In the last hour my oscar has sprang to life. I did a 50 percent water change, and the oscar remained on his side, but then he took a huge [mod edit] and has been swimming around and eating and acting normal. I've been just watching the whole time, it's fascinating!

Last edited by a moderator:
Fresh Water is always good....Oscars are great fish if you have room. I got one of the 75 Gallon tanks specifically for a new home for mine....Mine is only 5 inches up from 1 1/2 from when I got him in January....about an inch a month.

I've owned bala sharks, gold fish, and a yellow peacock cichlid and none even compare to this fish!

Back
Top Bottom