New to Aquariums and Getting Discouraged with New Tank's Ich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mfmbcpman

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Well, somehow my last thread got deleted... Anyway, I have slowly added fish to my aquarium over the last 3 weeks after doing a fishless cycle. I have a 20 gallon freshwater kept at 80 degrees. About 4 days ago, I noticed white spots on my Sunburst Wag Platys. I started treating for ich with Rid Ich Plus but in the last 3 days all but one of my fish have died. I followed the directions of the Rid Ich exactly. I have very methodical about the whole setup.

Fish I had:
2 Sunburst Wag Platys
1 Lyretail Molly
5 Neon Tetras
2 Turquoise Guppies
2 African Dwarf Frogs
1 Powder-blue Dwarf Gourami

Tank Parameters: Ammonia: 0 Nitrites: 0 Nitrates: 10 ppm Temp: 80F ph: 7.5

Filtration: Aqueon Quietflow 30 125 gph

Did multiple water changes according to Rid Ich directions. Substrate is Fluorite mixed with regular gravel. I've been feeding Omega One Tropical Flakes.

The dwarf gourami is resting on the bottom of the tank and breathing rapidly.

The entire side of the Lyretail Molly was red and inflamed before dying. Should I just be treating for ich or is there something else going on?

If you post pictures of that platy a lot more people will be able to help. It looked like columnaris to me though.

The last of my fish died this morning. 14 fish dead in 4 days. How do I make sure this doesn't happen again? What would have caused this and the damage to the lyretail molly? Will a full water change get rid of any pathogens, bacteria, etc, or do I need to treat the water? I don't know if anything can live on the plants, decorations, or substrate.

mfmbcpman said:
The last of my fish died this morning. 14 fish dead in 4 days. How do I make sure this doesn't happen again? What would have caused this and the damage to the lyretail molly? Will a full water change get rid of any pathogens, bacteria, etc, or do I need to treat the water? I don't know if anything can live on the plants, decorations, or substrate.

OH NO! Sorry about your losses, wish I could off some sound advice but this isn't my expertise.

Almost 100% certain it was columnaris and the ich was just there. You should google up how long you should leave the tank fallow/ what to do now.

Back
Top Bottom