New to hobby.. My serpae has white spots?? Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jojojc

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just notice white spots on one of my serpae . Anyone know what this is? And just notice he is struggling bit at the bottom of the tank. Help

You probably have ick. Turn the temperature in your aquarium up to 80 or 82 don't go over that also be cairfull when doing that keep a close eye on the fish turn it down if the act weird. Then add a air stone with API aquarium salt also use API meleafix and pimafix and do a 25% water change every 3 days. Also if u have live plants and invertebrates remove them as all them things will kill them. GOOD LUCK

The fish store said to take out the filter should I do that?
I put In salt and raised temp ... The fish seem to be swimming erratic ... Should I be worried

Do take the filter out take the media out of it like the cartridge and if you have anything else in the filter take that out especially carbon because that will Waste the meds. They are really stressed that's why they would swim erratically just keep a close eye on them

Can I put the same filter back in or replace it when ready

Leave all of your filter media in accept the carbon. This is because carbon will remove the meds from the water. Also NEVER change your filter pads/ media, just take them out and swish them in conditioned water. This will save all of your beneficial bacteria and protect you from having to cycle again.

Take every thing out throw out everything because the filter media will act like a storage device for the disease. Ones you get rid of the disease put new media in

No, the medication will kill the ich in the filter. You can leave all of your gravel and decor in without having to change it right? Same concept as leaving the filter pads. You will face a lot more problems taking the old filter pads out. Leave them in, it's fish keeping 101, it's the only way you maintain your cycled tank, but yes also keep up on the water changes.

Ok how bout you get ick and see how long it takes to cure with the pad still in the filter

I removed the cartridge , raised temp, salt, put in meds....fish seem robe more stable at this time. Keeping fingers crossed.

I'll dig up some links.

Just a few notes - getting the temp up to 86F is commonly quoted and what I have done myself. If the lower temperature has cured I'd be interested as that would be handy to know.

Melafix and pimafix are low level treatments for bacteria/fungas. They will help with secondary infection prevention. Carbon should be taken out. They are not quoted as ich treatments directly.

If you remove all your filter media you run the risk of a mini-cycle until the nitrifying bacteria can catch up.

Salt will impact your plants. If you remove them for salt treatment than QT them for 10 days in case.

Included below:

Also the temp should be raised slowly (refer to links) and increase aeration.

Are the white spots like salt grains? That would help confirm it is ich. The ich lifecycle speeds up with heat so it may look to get worse before it gets better.

Using Heat to Treat Ich in Freshwater Tropical Fish - Article at The Age of Aquariums - Tropical Fish

Aquarium Ich Disease | Ichthyophthirius Multifilis & Cryptocaryon

Welcome to API Fishcare: MELAFIX®

Welcome to API Fishcare: PIMAFIX®

Edit - Heat and meds is usually a stressful combination as both lower the oxygen in the water. I have used heat and meds but you have to watch them very closely, particularly the first 24 hrs and have very good aeration.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom