New to the forum sick betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lisa6758

Aquarium Advice Newbie
1~What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the best of your ability (i.e. cotton like growth, bloated, etc.).
Long finned female veiltail betta splendens. About 2 weeks ago I noticed the edges of her anal and dorsal fins and fraying. She has been lethargic/ resting in her plant/on heater more than usual. Her appetite has decreased. Yesterday I noticed bloating/swelling. Today I saw a pinhole in the caudal fin.

2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)?
Please give exact values.
I tested the water on sunday - ammonia 0.25 ppm, nitrites 0ppm, nitrates 0ppm, pH 7.4.
The current temperature is 72F.

3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?
1 gallon with a 7.5 heater. Its been setup for 15 months.

4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known.
It's unfiltered

5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes?
Just the betta

6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?
I started doing daily 100% water changes and adding seachem stress guard Sunday. Before I was doing 50% water changes every other day and a 100% water change weekly. There's no gravel/substate.

7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?
I have had her for about 15 months

8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?
New dechlorinator - I switched from betta basics to prime. I mentioned earlier that I've been adding seachem stress guard for the fins

9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently?
She gets six seachem nutridiet betta pellets once a day.

Attachments

• IMG_8159.jpg
    IMG_8159.jpg
    205.5 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_8158.jpg
    IMG_8158.jpg
    218.1 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_8169.jpg
    IMG_8169.jpg
    214.4 KB · Views: 56
Ok, so this is going to be a long post.

Your tank is unfiltered and you're doing 100% percent water changes, which is basically restarting your cycle over and over. If you don't know what a cycle is, google it. There are also links in the forums.

The minimum tank size for bettas is 5g.

The temperature should be at least 76 to 80f for bettas.

She looks like she has some fine rot, which is caused by poor water conditions. Curled fins are caused by this too.

Her bloating could be from constipation, which can be helped by feeding the inside partof a pea, or she could be eggbound, which will eitherpass by itself or can be fatal in a few cases.

I suggest getting at least a five gallon tank, have the heat turned up, get some sort of filter on there and read about fish in cycling, which is what you'll be doing. Research bettas, read everything you can.

Good luck.

I have a fluval spec5. Do you have any suggestions on how to make it more Betta friendly?

I second everything said above. They make small filters for betta tanks but you fish will be much happier with a filter. There is a great pinned article here about the nitrogen cycle and how to cycle with and without fish.

Good luck :) pm or post with any other questions

She hasnt pooed since wednesday or thursday. I tried fasting her and giving her daphnia twice.
The fin rot is getting worse.

Attachments

• IMG_8241.jpg
    IMG_8241.jpg
    220.1 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_8243.jpg
    IMG_8243.jpg
    227.4 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_8244.jpg
    IMG_8244.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 45
Back