'New' used 30 gal. Fish list help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Billsgate

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi,

Just happened to pass by my lfs today and there i saw quite yer good deal. A used 30 gal with lighting and filtration for 50 Euros (70 bucks?). Not bad i think. I only have to buy a heater.....and fish offcourse :D

I already own a 20 gal with keyhole cichlids and some chinese danios.

Now i'm looking for color. And action. And fish that get little ones easily, well, at least whom don't need perfect water conditions for reproduction.

Any ideas? Besides gups offcourse.......if i find nothing better i'll get fancy gups and fill my tank with them.

tnx 8O

Bettas! I would try females because they can be put together with no problems (Usually). I'd also try Painted Glass tetras, which I have never kept, but I work at an lfs and they are very intresting. Thats a great deal too!

A pair of N. brichardi would do well in that size tank, and likely produce fry for you. It would be a question of selecting a group of 5 or so juvies and waiting for a pair to form, then removing the others, since they won't tolerate a crowd at all, but will tolerate their young for a time.

Other options would be a pair of convict cichlids, which will pretty much be as sure a bet for fry as guppies, or a pair of kribensis, which you should be able to determine gender at the time of purchase.

None of these will really provide a whole lot of "action" in the tank, so you could always consider platys or mollies. How are your keyholes doing?

I would suggest some neon blue dwarf gouramis ...I used to own some and they're very pretty....also platies are always nice and colourful and easy to keep!! One that isn't too too colourful is the red tail shark..but its very nice...I have one and i love it.............
have fun!

The Brichardis look nice, but maybe i won't be able to take the waiting for a couple.....again.... The convicts....well, they're not the cutest of fish...but that's my (uninformed) opinion. I just went trough some pics on the net.
I have my keyholes for about 4-5 months now, they're fine, although they remain shy...I can lay on my bed and watch them for almost an hour sometimes! The males are chasing the females as they should. I have 2 males and 3 females. But i'm guessing that they aren't ready yet to from pairs, i think that'll take maybe 2 more months or so. I do have a favourite male and a favourite female (both are biggest of their sex) who look the nicest, so i would like them to become a pair, but i'm guessing that the smaller ones will become as pretty when they have the chance.

I'm thinkins of MAYBE getting some real small fish for the new tank (Endlers livebearers or something), And once i have a keyhole couple, putting the remaining 3 in my new 30 g till i have (maybe) another couple.

But maybe you guys can change my mind and give me some more ideas!

The gouramis are also an option, The nicest gouramis (in my opinion) are the diamond gouramis. Would a pair be good for my tank?

OR you could go with shell dwelling cichlids!! They are cute and live in FW snail shells and without you knowing it, there will be young popping their little eyes out of the shells. You could keep many of them in a 30 gal. My little guys max out at 1 1/2". I started with 4 in a 10 gal.

I might consider the shell dwellers :)
I looked at my lfs' site and they have this: Neolamprologus multifasciatus
They're quite expensive though...well, 15 Euros each (20 bucks?). Guess they aren't that commonly available here.
But maybe if i find a good combination with some schooling fish i could consider it.....although it is going to be VERY costly for me......if i would take 5 or so thats a 100$!
:cry:

Keep giving me some interesting possibilities people, i really appreciate it

Those are the shellies I have. The fry I bought were $5 CAD each--very cheap. It's odd that they are that expensive since they are not hard to spawn. Check to see if there is a local Aquarium Society in your area. That is always a good place to get good deals.

Well, i'm in Europe, Belgium, so maybe they are not yet introduced here as well as in the US. But...i know it's not nice, i could make a profit if i would keep them i guess :twisted: . If i could sell the young to my lfs. 8O

Anyone have any experience with APHYOSEMION species? I think they look gorgeous, i would love to fill my tank with some of those! :D
Great colours! Are they hard to keep? are they active? what part of the tank do they occupy?

tnx

I have never kept killies but hope to do so someday. That would make for a very lovely display.

Owkey, so they call them killies :D
I heard killies before but never knew what people meant :oops:
I'm still working on my tank, i just put some new silicone kit on today, and then i still have some cleaning to do+ redoing the outside appearance (its paper in wood color now that was glued on....i'm going to replace it by black paper.

I'm thinking of putting a bare minimum in my 30 gal. i'm going to move my chinese danios (7) to it once it's up (in a month or so, don't have much time to work on it now with school), and then some killies for color. But not too much of them either, i'm going to keep it free for once i get keyhole cichlid fry. Tssss...........i'm setting up a tank for fry from fish that arent even coupled yet........am i too early? Well, it was a good deal this tank.

Would i be able to keep killies, keyholes and chinese danios together? i mean in terms of water conditions?

tnx :p

Back
Top Bottom