Newbie with ich treatment questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jlinsey

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
We have a 6 gallon Eclipse aquarium which has been set up since Christmas. After losing our first two fish, one of which had had babies, I found this site and got help to get cycled. Since then, everything's been fine until this morning when I noticed a white spot on our platy's tail. It looks like the ich photos in the sticky, except that as of now there is only the one spot. He is not acting ill and the other fish look fine.
Raising the water temp seems like the easiest treatment. My big question...Is this one spot enough indication that I should go ahead with this? Will that alone be enough, or should I also add aquarium salt. I have been adding 1/4 teaspoon of it with some but not all of the water changes, but could add (more?) tonight if it would also help. I don't have a way to weigh those small quantities, only measuring spoons, or a way to test the salt content of the water. Also I see that I should leave the water level lower to help with aeration at the higher temps, and maybe increase the frequency of water changes.
Besides the platy, we have a silver-tipped tetra, and 7 of the baby mollies.
Tonight I plan to do my regular weekly 50% water change. I did change the filter last week because it was starting to look like water wasn't flowing through it as well as it had been. I took a few chunks of the old floss and put them on top of the new filter to help preserve the cycle, tested a few days later and params were normal.
TIA for any help you can provide...I really want to keep our fish healthy! The sticky was very helpful but since I am a newbie, I could use some guidance!

Put the water temp up to 80 or 82 and wait a few days. If it is ich, it will start to spred, and you can crank up the heat. At 80-82 degrees it will multiply rapidly, at 86-88 it will die. I have had platies with spots on their tails that looked like ich, but never went beyond a single spot, so don't call it ich yet.

If you haven't added anything new to the tank in awhile and have maintained the tanks parameters (including the temp), it is unlikely that you would get an ich episode. Salt is a good therapy, just don't overdose the salt. 1tsp per 5 gals is fine. I agree with AG, try that recommendation and you will be certain.

Thanks so much. That approach makes sense to me. The water temp is at 79 now, and I will slowly bring it up to 80-82 and see if any more spots develop. It's a good feeling to be doing something, yet not something drastic!

Back
Top Bottom