Newbie with septicemia and Fishrot =./

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jcvera

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am a newbie, I've only had my fish for a month because I brought it to my dorm and it was originally my boyfriend's. I have a white goldfish and an orange one( idk if the orange one is a goldfish... thats how inexperienced i am)
* I also bought a catfish a week ago that i found dead in the corner and its insides were completely gone (It was obviously munched on by one of the others)
* Two days later my white goldfish had specks on it and then it appeared to be inflamed because her tail was turning red with streaks. Her tail was falling off and so were her scales! I was terrified to say the least! (Im a vegetarian and studying to be a vet)
* Through research i found she has septicemia and fin rot so i purchased Maracyn 2 and took the filter out so it wouldnt absorb the medicine and its day 2 of the treatment. I didnt remove the orange fish because he most likely has it too however no symptoms have been observed.
*My question to you is WHAT ELSE SHOULD I DO???? I heard about some ammonia tests or nitrate tests? I'm at a complete loss right now and the white goldfish looks very very ill. I just dont want her to die =./
* My tank is 3 gallons, and i dont know how to test for different levels.
*I have an tetra small filter i believe with an led bubbler, fake plants made for aquariums and a pineapple home for my fish.
*The white gollfish is 3inches not including its poor tail and the orange one is half its size.
*I dont know what it means to vaccum the gravel?I thought you were suppose to empty out the whole tank every week change the water with tap and add aquasafe before you added your other fish back in.
*Also i feed them tetrafin goldfish flakes but ive been over feeding them probably, but they look so hungry! HELP PLEASE

Attachments

• IMG_0710[1].JPG
    IMG_0710[1].JPG
    210.9 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_0696[1].jpg
    IMG_0696[1].jpg
    246.4 KB · Views: 260
Well, the first issue you have is tank size. Fancy goldfish need at least 20 gallons and commons, which you seem to have, really need a pond, or a tank of at least 55-75 gallons for one fish. They produce way too much waste and grow way too large for small tanks, but sadly they are sold for bowls and small tanks despite this. I would highly suggest rehoming these fish if you can get them better. I am not familiar with septicemia so I am not sure how much help I can be with that, but another member on here is fighting it in one of her goldies so I'm sure she'll be able to give you some advice about that. The reason for the illnesses you are seeing is poor water quality. Your tank is not cycled. There is a sticky on the freshwater getting started forum about fish in cycling that will help you a lot. Please please read that, and pick up a test kit as soon as you can. The liquid kind, not the strips. For now, the best thing you can do is water changes, and lots of them. Replace at least half of the water every day, twice a day if you have to, until you can get your parameters under control. I wish you the very best of luck, but two common goldfish, especially one as big as your white one, need way more than 3 gallons.

I agree with everything Alyxx stated. With 2 commons in a 3 gallon tank, you are fighting a battle with water quality issues of ammonia & nitrite that you will never win. Your best option here would be to do 100% water changes daily with temperature matched, conditioned water until you are able to rehome these guys to a more appropriate environment. Continue to treat with the maracyn2 (add after a water change) in the interim & consider treating with a kanamycin-medicated food instead. If you reside in the US, you can purchase this from Goldfish Connection: Goldfish Care, Goldfish, Goldfish Health, Goldfish Disease, Goldfish Pictures, Goldfish Ponds, Goldfish Types -- look on left side of pg for their shop & search for 'medi-gold'. I would google pond & garden stores in your area to see if they can take these guys or they may have a customer who can. Your only other option would be a very large tank. Please dont hesitate to ask questions!!

Hi and welcome!
It sounds like your Goldie has septicemia quite bad. As said above the tank is very small. Do you know of the nitrogen cycle?
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/guide-to-starting-a-freshwater-aquarium-186089.html
Please read this.

Common Name: Hemorrhagic Septicemia
Pathogen/Cause: Various organisms, Ammonia spike
Physical Signs: Distinct bright red streaks on fins (caused by vascular inflammation due to systemic/bloodborne bacterial infection) and occasionally patchy red discoloration on the flanks of the body.
Behavioral Signs: Depends on severity of condition. If due to ammonia, may show in conjunction with hyperventilation (fast breathing) and gasping at the surface, erratic swimming, etc.
Potential Treatment: Broad spectrum antibiotic. Can resolve spontaneously in some fish if source of water quality problem is removed.
Other Notes: Check water quality, especially if fish exhibiting other signs of ammonia poisoning (gasping at surface). Regular water changes and measuring of ammonia/nitrite (especially if relatively new tank) are a must. In FW, commonly seen in goldfish due to their naturally high ammonia output. In SW, often seen in tangs due to their inability to tolerate sudden water quality changes and susceptibility to shock.
http://badmanstropicalfish.com/fish_palace/tropicalfish_disease_identification.html#ERM
I would suggest a few things.
The fish need a bigger tank first off.
I would add 0.3% salt to the tank. (slowly increased)
Purchase a heater and slowly increase the temperature up to 80*F.
A medicated food is the best course of action.
I'm going to have a read of my thread and I'll get back to you with more info.

Reactions: jlk
jlk said:
I agree with everything Alyxx stated. With 2 commons in a 3 gallon tank, you are fighting a battle with water quality issues of ammonia & nitrite that you will never win. Your best option here would be to do 100% water changes daily with temperature matched, conditioned water until you are able to rehome these guys to a more appropriate environment. Continue to treat with the maracyn2 (add after a water change) in the interim & consider treating with a kanamycin-medicated food instead. If you reside in the US, you can purchase this from Goldfish Connection: Goldfish Care, Goldfish, Goldfish Health, Goldfish Disease, Goldfish Pictures, Goldfish Ponds, Goldfish Types -- look on left side of pg for their shop & search for 'medi-gold'. I would google pond & garden stores in your area to see if they can take these guys or they may have a customer who can. Your only other option would be a very large tank. Please dont hesitate to ask questions!!

Ah! You beat me!!!
I will add the links to my threads.

Thanks so much! also my orange one now has white fuzz all over him ??

jcvera said:
Thanks so much! also my orange one now has white fuzz all over him ??

Is it fuzzy or does it look more like salt specks? Fuzzy means it's probably fungal, but distinct white specks means ich.

fuzzy white spots.. and why would it get fungus?

Fungal infections can set in when fish are injured and otherwise stressed, because their immune systems are reduced. I have used the fungus clear tablets from jungle, I believe, with success. Use it in a quarantine tank if you can, it won't help the goldfish with septecimia, they need different treatments. It will turn your tank water bright green.

fuzzy white spots.. and why would it get fungus?

Fuzzy white spots may be either a fungus or a bacterial infection. Fungus infections are usually the result of poor water conditions as they opportunistic disease. They also may occur secondary to a bacterial infection. With your present tank situation, it will be very difficult to maintain healthy water thus allowing opportunistic infections to occur. You fish are suspectible to these issues due to poor water quality. Poor water quality (toxic levels of ammonia, nitrite, nitrate) & cramped conditions leads to stress & a comprimised immune system allowing opportunistic infections to occur. Please consider rehoming these guys or upgrading their home.

Both of them have speticemia now, i went home for the weekend, but i had someone come give them medicine and the orange goldfish now has red streaks and an inflamed tale =.( I'm terrified they're not going to make it, I just cleaned out their tank extremely well added aquasafe and easybalance to keep their water levels safe, Tomorrow ill change 50% of their water as well. According to this fish guide that came with my marycn 2 medicine, the orange one could have cotton wool disease

Can I suggest if you cant get a bigger tank that you go and buy a LARGE storage container (bigger than 3 gallons, as big as you can find) and move them, all the gravel, decor and the filter over. The longer they stay in the smaller tank the worse they are going to get. They are poisoning themselves in the small tank.

Is a small trash can okay? If i fill it up all the way atleast but i only have a filter that is made for 1 to 3 gallons

jcvera said:
Is a small trash can okay? If i fill it up all the way atleast but i only have a filter that is made for 1 to 3 gallons

What the volume of the trash can? Has it has ANYTHING in it? The filter will be done for now. We have to work with what you have.

The trash has a bag with some paper garbage but the trash is not actually touching the trashcan, the volume is 12x6x18(in.)

Thats 5-5.5gallons. If you are confident nothing has contaminated it and it will hold water them IMO you should move them over. 2 gallons of extra water will help you keep the ammonia down to a minimum. You really need to keep up the water changes I'd suggest 75% twice a day. Also look into the medicated food jlk has suggested. Getting them to ingest the antibiotics will help.
Really the best thing to do is rehome them or buy a much larger tank.

How would i clean the garbage can just in case it was contaminated? Also with the medicated food, the closest pet shop around my college is 40 minutes on bike, i barely found sometime between classes to peddle away and buy the maracyn 2, i dont think i could do it again. Both of them seem to be gasping significantly, compared to a week ago atleast.

This is their home right now and im planning on doing 50% water changes every day until this weekend where i will go get their ex home, the 10+ gallon home they lived in previously with a vaccum filter underneath

Attachments

• IMG_0718[1].jpg
    IMG_0718[1].jpg
    232.5 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_0717[1].jpg
    IMG_0717[1].jpg
    229.1 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0712[1].jpg
    IMG_0712[1].jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 45
jcvera said:
How would i clean the garbage can just in case it was contaminated? Also with the medicated food, the closest pet shop around my college is 40 minutes on bike, i barely found sometime between classes to peddle away and buy the maracyn 2, i dont think i could do it again. Both of them seem to be gasping significantly, compared to a week ago atleast.

Hot water should be ok. Don't use chemicals. Can you order online and get express delivery?
The gasping is most likely from ammonia but the septicemia would be contributing. If they are gasping do a large water change. And see if they improve.

Back
Top Bottom