Newish tank problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DanaHughes

Aquarium Advice Newbie
1~What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the best of your ability (i.e. cotton like growth, bloated, etc.)

I have two angelfish that are seeming to stay at the top now and move their mouth a lot like they need air. I have a beta he seems fine. I had a turquoise gourami which I will describe later he died and I think his Gil hemorrhaged.

2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.

pH 7.4ish
HR pH 0ppm
Ammonia 0.35ish
Ni2 0ppm
Ni3 2 ppm ish

3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?

20 gallon. I had the tank up for a few weeks before I introduced the two angel fish, turquoise gourami and a male betta. They seemed to be doing great, no picking on each other or anything. No signs of disease or bad readings from my master kit. a few weeks later I introduced a pleco and a small dwarf gourami which both died within 2 days. I got the gourami out immediately but my friend died and the pleco was in there for maybe 24 to 36 hours without notice.

4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known.

I'm using a top fin multi-stage internal filter 20. I don't know anything about gallons per hour. I'm not new to aquariums I had them when I was younger and never really had problems but I never had angel fish before. Temperature is staying between 76 to 80.

5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes?

One angelfish is probably 2 to 3 inches the other maybe 2 and my beta is normal sized. They all seem very small in the tank. My gourami was maybe three inches long and very healthy until he started darting around the tank after the pleco died and did not last very long before he passed away. It was actually his unusual behavior that alerted me to the plecos death.
6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?

After both gourami and pleco died I cleaned the gravel and changed out about 25 to 40 percent of the water and used primo water to refill the tank. This is actually the first time I had ever cleaned the tank because it had not been set up long. Sadly it was not quick enough to save my turquoise gourami

7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?

Answered previously. Acclimated all fish by floating in the tank for 30 minutes. I watched all fish to make sure there was no nipping.

8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?

Since the fish died I bought Prime conditioner for the ammonia level and overall wellness at the tank and Neutral Regulator powder for the pH and had also used to Accu clear for the cloudy water previously.

I had a whisper 20 that came with the tank kit I was given for Christmas and when I changed out the water I replaced it with the internal filter for noise reasons and so I could fill the tank completely to the top for beauty reasons.

9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently?

I've been feeding a few bloodworms and flake food. In the beginning I was feeding a couple times a day and they seemed to be eating well but recently I have been feeding less frequently because the water is cloudy, not very very cloudy but a little greyish.. They do not seem to be eating well now.

Just to sum up I'm worried about my fish because my angelfish are moving their mouths at the top of the water and not really eating and the water is a bit cloudy and since I've had the fish deaths I'm very concerned for my angels. My beta seems to be thriving. He swims around the entire time and love to space. If anything the angels were the alphas of the tank in the beginning but now they seem to be in one corner and not doing very well. I'm trying to leave it alone and let it cycle but I'm just really worried.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My fish are gulping at the top of the water, it's cloudy. Do I add more Prime? Do I just leave it and let it cycle? Need some advice...

Uninstalling this app. No one here cares to help. What's the point of this forum?

More water changes!! I find 90 per cent of problems within an aquarium can be fixed simply by performing regular water changes do about 25 per cent once a week

Sorry no one answered you hope you still have the app.

The ammonia level is a sign the tank is unstable and likely uncycled. Adding that many fish so quickly has added more bioload than your tank can handle. They are likely gasping from the ammonia. You need to keep up with water changes and let the tank finish cycling. Water changes are very important during a fish-in cycle.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Back
Top Bottom