Newly Purchased Guppy with Concerning Infection (HELP)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

snootsnooty

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Howdy everyone,

So I have purchased two fancy guppies from online. They looked extremely pretty and extravagant in the pictures. But, once they arrived at my doorstep, I was immediately concerned. I had purchased two males. One of the males looks ‘fine’ (visually). However, the second male seems to have a bit of an infection going on. 1/3 of his body is a creamy white color—which concerns me. His back fin is primarily ripped to shreds. There is an area of yellowish/brown near the base of this back tail. I have had run ins with diseases like ich, but I’ve never seen anything like this.

Information:
- I currently have melafix, salt, general cure, ich treatment and ammonia remover on hand.
- He is currently in a 15 gallon QT tank (cycled) with the other male and a stray guppy juvenile fry.
- I raised the temperature slowly to 80 degrees.

If anyone could identify the problem I would be extremely grateful. I am willing to do whatever for this guy, I just need a bit of advice :) Thank you.

Attachments

• 54DE20A5-4A94-47E8-977C-83D9B3F33353.jpg
    54DE20A5-4A94-47E8-977C-83D9B3F33353.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 82
  • 500EE452-75D8-4A01-9AA9-5FC60911B02D.jpg
    500EE452-75D8-4A01-9AA9-5FC60911B02D.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 52
  • AA1F85CB-F053-49B7-97C3-DFAD22EB3A11.jpg
    AA1F85CB-F053-49B7-97C3-DFAD22EB3A11.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 65
  • 957756F1-4B0C-4F15-813C-5F4EE7D6E688.jpg
    957756F1-4B0C-4F15-813C-5F4EE7D6E688.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 65
UPDATE: Unfortunately, he has just passed. I am just glad he’s not suffering anymore :,(

The one is doing just fine, which I am happy about. I bought them from breeder in my area, Michigan. I ordered them off his website. They shipped from Southern Michigan to here. (so only about a five hour trip)

But do you have any idea what was wrong with him? It kind of looks like ammonia burn but Im not 99% sure.

Could be a blood disease. His fins were in terrible shape as well. I wouldn't do business with anyone who sells fish in that condition. It's not like he traveled that far.

I’ll keep a sharp eye on the remaining one left. But thank you all for your input. I appreciate it :)

If you begin to get issues with the other one let us know. I'll help you out the best I can.

UPDATE 2#: So I have done the best I could for the past week or so, but the second male has died. I was watching him very closely the past couple days. It was hard seeing him deteriorate as time went on. I tried using doses of melafix, limiting stress by not entering the room and making a ruckus, adding a tablespoon of salt, did two 25% water changes. Nothing seemed to be helping this little guy. He did not have any interest in eating. Now one thing I did notice, there was a bit of stringy fecal matter coming from him. It looked very similar to roundworms (or some type of internal worm). His fins were slowly starting to progress to torn and tattered. And the back portion of his body was turning a creamy white color. I am very revolted that a person could sell me these fish in these awful conditions. It is really disheartening. I don’t know how anyone could’ve looked at these fish and said “oh yeah these look gReAt”. The suffering these two went through is awful

Sounds like they were probably chalked full of disease and/or parasites. For future reference, buy a few antibiotics and dose new fish in a quarantine tank when you get them. Three good meds to dose new fish with are paragaurd, Prazipro, and metroplex. These could potentially save a new fish and keep you from having to deal with this.

I saw quite a few guppy come into my local store looking like this. They where feeders. I don't think I would want to feed my health fish this. I was wondering what it was and if it was something that is easily treated

Could be a mix of things - hard enough to figure out in our own tanks (where we know what’s changed) versus these that could be suffering from both infections/parasites and just general transport stress imo.

Back
Top Bottom