Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-11-2019, 06:14 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Newly Purchased Guppy with Concerning Infection (HELP)

Howdy everyone,

So I have purchased two fancy guppies from online. They looked extremely pretty and extravagant in the pictures. But, once they arrived at my doorstep, I was immediately concerned. I had purchased two males. One of the males looks Ďfineí (visually). However, the second male seems to have a bit of an infection going on. 1/3 of his body is a creamy white colorówhich concerns me. His back fin is primarily ripped to shreds. There is an area of yellowish/brown near the base of this back tail. I have had run ins with diseases like ich, but Iíve never seen anything like this.

Information:
- I currently have melafix, salt, general cure, ich treatment and ammonia remover on hand.
- He is currently in a 15 gallon QT tank (cycled) with the other male and a stray guppy juvenile fry.
- I raised the temperature slowly to 80 degrees.

If anyone could identify the problem I would be extremely grateful. I am willing to do whatever for this guy, I just need a bit of advice Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	54DE20A5-4A94-47E8-977C-83D9B3F33353.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	178.6 KB
ID:	312007   Click image for larger version

Name:	500EE452-75D8-4A01-9AA9-5FC60911B02D.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	190.2 KB
ID:	312008  

Click image for larger version

Name:	AA1F85CB-F053-49B7-97C3-DFAD22EB3A11.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	188.3 KB
ID:	312009   Click image for larger version

Name:	957756F1-4B0C-4F15-813C-5F4EE7D6E688.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	195.9 KB
ID:	312010  

Old 02-11-2019, 11:17 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Newbie

UPDATE: Unfortunately, he has just passed. I am just glad heís not suffering anymore :,(

Old 02-12-2019, 12:10 AM   #3
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Sad news , hows the other one?
Old 02-12-2019, 03:40 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Where did you buy this fish from so I can avoid buying there?
Old 02-12-2019, 01:22 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

The one is doing just fine, which I am happy about. I bought them from breeder in my area, Michigan. I ordered them off his website. They shipped from Southern Michigan to here. (so only about a five hour trip)

But do you have any idea what was wrong with him? It kind of looks like ammonia burn but Im not 99% sure.
Old 02-12-2019, 07:14 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Could be a blood disease. His fins were in terrible shape as well. I wouldn't do business with anyone who sells fish in that condition. It's not like he traveled that far.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:19 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Iíll keep a sharp eye on the remaining one left. But thank you all for your input. I appreciate it
Old 02-12-2019, 11:51 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you begin to get issues with the other one let us know. I'll help you out the best I can.
Old Today, 12:09 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Newly Purchased Guppy with Concerning Infection (HELP)

UPDATE 2#: So I have done the best I could for the past week or so, but the second male has died. I was watching him very closely the past couple days. It was hard seeing him deteriorate as time went on. I tried using doses of melafix, limiting stress by not entering the room and making a ruckus, adding a tablespoon of salt, did two 25% water changes. Nothing seemed to be helping this little guy. He did not have any interest in eating. Now one thing I did notice, there was a bit of stringy fecal matter coming from him. It looked very similar to roundworms (or some type of internal worm). His fins were slowly starting to progress to torn and tattered. And the back portion of his body was turning a creamy white color. I am very revolted that a person could sell me these fish in these awful conditions. It is really disheartening. I donít know how anyone couldíve looked at these fish and said ďoh yeah these look gReAtĒ. The suffering these two went through is awful
Old Today, 12:52 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sounds like they were probably chalked full of disease and/or parasites. For future reference, buy a few antibiotics and dose new fish in a quarantine tank when you get them. Three good meds to dose new fish with are paragaurd, Prazipro, and metroplex. These could potentially save a new fish and keep you from having to deal with this.

Tags
guppy, infection

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com