Nitrate and Nitrite are TOO high!!! Help Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Karimaureen05

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I had a 10 gallon freshwater tank with 6 tetra, and 2 sunburst and 1 crowntail betta. I had a little surprise waiting for me in my tank when I returned home one day, a baby blood parrot cichlid. Knowing he can't stay in a 10 gallon, I upgrade to a 30 gallon. I do the routine cleanings and changes to the larger tank. Now, I've had it up for about a month with2 algea eaters in the picture. I've done water changes, and have added some nitrate and nitrite remover... nothing is working...

Nitrate - 80
Nitrite - 10.0
pH - 7.4

How do i get it down? nothing I do is working... Nothing I add is working, and a 30 gallon tank is hard to fill up when you already have fish in there! :)

Welcome to AA!

Don't add anything more, many many water changes, daily, 75% at least. None of these additives will remove nitrite or nitrate. Don't add anymore fish. Your tank isn't cycled yet. Keep doing water changes and add dechlorinator every time.

Zagz brings up a good point. Did you cycle the tank prior to adding the fish? Is the 10g still running?

If the 10g is still running, you could add some of the bio-media to the filter on the 30g to help get more beneficial bacteria established.

80 is pretty high for a tank that's been running for a month. What type of test kits are you using? Did you test for ammonia as well?

Back
Top Bottom