Nitrates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoeyGGGG

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have API liquid test kit and tonight I decided I would test for nitrates because I hadn't ever tested before, idk why. To my surprise I found that it showed my nitrate levels being around 180 ppm. I plan to do a large wc tomorrow but why is it that high? I have 4 live plants in the tank and I though that was suppose to keep them down. My blues rams that are in the Tank now are doing great and swimming around like they normally do. I was thinking maybe false test? Also does Anyone else's testing tubes also leak?

I have API liquid test kit and tonight I decided I would test for nitrates because I hadn't ever tested before, idk why. To my surprise I found that it showed my nitrate levels being around 180 ppm. I plan to do a large wc tomorrow but why is it that high? I have 4 live plants in the tank and I though that was suppose to keep them down. My blues rams that are in the Tank now are doing great and swimming around like they normally do. I was thinking maybe false test? Also does Anyone else's testing tubes also leak?

it could be a false reading! are u able to get ur LFS or a friend to double check? and yes API test tubes do leak! how i deal with it is wrap the test tube in tissue paper and have my index finger on top of the lid and my thumb on the bottom! :)

so ya, if u are able to get someone to test it for u with a different test kit that will be great! and wouldnt hurt to do a PWC before then anways :) all the best dude:fish2:

Haha that tissue thing sounds like a good resolves you would think after all the warnings they put on the packing and instructions it would be as safe as possible but o well ha. I'll go to petsmart tomorrow have them test some water then probably buy a new test kit. Thanks for the reply!

JoeyGGGG said:
Haha that tissue thing sounds like a good resolves you would think after all the warnings they put on the packing and instructions it would be as safe as possible but o well ha. I'll go to petsmart tomorrow have them test some water then probably buy a new test kit. Thanks for the reply!

Haha ya I know right. :) all the best with everything! Keep us posted!

Yes the aqueon brand once a week, I haven't dosed in about a week though

was just wondering if that was the source of your nitrates. Is the tank heavily stocked? I would do a 50% wc and test it again, then if it tests lower, do another big wc and get those nitrates under control.

2 blue rams, 1 Cory, 1 khuli loach, 4 apple snails, and 12 ghost shrimp in a 10 gal. But yeah wc I'll get right on that as soon as I can

JoeyGGGG said:
2 blue rams, 1 Cory, 1 khuli loach, 4 apple snails, and 12 ghost shrimp in a 10 gal. But yeah wc I'll get right on that as soon as I can

Kuhli loach I believe needs to be in group of 3 or more. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Yeah I'm going to disperse the snails throughout my other 4 tanka soon and I'm worrking on putting the loach in a very sparsely populated 10 gal as soon as I can get a few more loaches to accompany him or her.

Another thing is cories are schooling fish so it would really do better if it was in a school of 5+. What kind of cory do you have?

Sorry Been busy lately I bought a new test kit and tested again and nitrates are in the teens but I did a water change after that anyway and all is well thanks:)

I don't really know what kind? It is speckled and is suppose to only get to 2.5 inches supposably. Sorry can't upload pics

Back
Top Bottom