Nitrite and nitrates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vi_ha1

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 10 gal breeder tank been set up for 4 months but recently my water is bad high lvl of nitrite n nitrates. I been doing 50% water change two days already it's not really going down alot . Would it b wise to to a 100% water change or not? And how can I save my fries? It's tails are pointed its like a slow death can I still save them n how?

If you have high nitrite and nitrate, the best thing you can do for them is water changes. Wcs every 2 or more days is not going to do much to help. Start with 50% with temperature matched, properly conditioned water. Wait an hour and do another 50%. Wait atleast half an hour and test your paramters. If they are still high, you will need to continue doing 50% wcs until you can bring them down to as close to zero as possible. Using a good water conditioner such as Prime will help to limit toxicity. Fry are very sensitive to their water conditions and any level of toxins will affect them so your going to need to stay on top of frequent testing and wcs (atleast daily, likely more often). Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom