Non-cycled tank and sick betta fish - filter question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Haecifer

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone,
I have a betta fish for a year now and I keep him in a non cycled 6-gallon-tank which I make full water changes every week.
Unfortunately, he fell ill last week. I diagnosed him with the help of nippyfish.net and I am 95% sure that he has Gill Hyperplasia (Gill Hyperplasia | Betta Fish Care). I am currently taking care of him by making partial water changes everyday, planning to maybe do a full water change this week (I am afraid I may put him into more stress than he already is) and I also put the advised amount of sea water salt in the water.

Even though his tank is not cycled, I have always had a filter there and this kept me wondering now, is this the right thing to do? I mean, should I keep a filter in a non cycled tank?

Also, I would very much appreciate any advice on how to take care of fish that have Gill Hyperplasia and on how to stimulate fish that don't want to eat to eat.. Up to yesterday I could make him eat by calling him by saying his name and/or softly tapping the glass, but today morning I couldn't make him eat at all ):

Thanks in advance,
Haecifer

Back
Top Bottom