Nooooo!!!! Ickkkk!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hmmm... Hard to tell from the picture but it looks like ich. Could be bubbles though, so maybe tap the glass or get the fish to move to see if the bubbles come off... I hope they are just bubbles, this happens to my fish alot.

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Hmmm... Hard to tell from the picture but it looks like ich. Could be bubbles though, so maybe tap the glass or get the fish to move to see if the bubbles come off... I hope they are just bubbles, this happens to my fish alot.

No it was so hard to catch the pic cause they're swimming with the other fish! They're all over! Look I added another pic

Could be ich.... :(

Are you going to treat just to be safe? Or maybe wait until you know for sure its ich?

Mumma.of.two said:
Ich is not visible with the naked eye. You can not see it sitting on things on the tank. Does it look like white grains of salt in the fish?

Yes sprinkled on the one fish only.. But also on colosseum.. Not bubbles

Yeah, I think it could be ich. Like NuNu said, its a bit hard to tell from the pictures, but thats what it looks like to me. I suggest you google pictures of ich and see if it matches. Ich basically looks like grains of salt on the fish. Its got texture.
I have never heard of it being visible on anything but fish before.

absolutangel04 said:
Yeah, I think it could be ich. Like NuNu said, its a bit hard to tell from the pictures, but thats what it looks like to me. I suggest you google pictures of ich and see if it matches. Ich basically looks like grains of salt on the fish. Its got texture.
I have never heard of it being visible on anything but fish before.

Things settled down for 5 days without another problem... Gee.. **sigh**
I'm so glad I have you guys because I'd have given up long ago otherwise ...
Thank you :)

Mumma.of.two said:
The Otto could have it but trust me it's something else on the colosseum.
http://www.aquahobby.com/articles/e_ich2.php
Increase the temperature to 86-88.

Okay I rubbed my finger on the colosseum and it's part of the decoration.. Decoration also has green and brown to simulate an aged structure... Fishie Mama panicked! Sorry!
But yes that darn Oto!
Just HOURS ago I thought, "Ha ha... I haven't had ich yet!" arrgh!! :-(

if it is ich you can get rid of it with high temps as Mumma suggested, just raise the temp slowly. Keep the temp up well after you notice the spots are gone then bring it back down.

Alkane said:
if it is ich you can get rid of it with high temps as Mumma suggested, just raise the temp slowly. Keep the temp up well after you notice the spots are gone then bring it back down.

Temp rising as we speak... It said every Hr to raise 2 deg F, right? Tank is usually around 82 as it is.., I moved it to 84ish
So from what I read, I can keep the parasite from attaching to others an reproducing by tomorrow... And Get it up to 90 by tomorrow night?? And wait for spots to disappear and then wait a wk after last visible spots?

Yeah, that sums it up. You can try to cure it with just heat and hopefully that will work. Otos do not always do well with salt, but its up to you if you want to try it or not. If you do, I suggest only like half dosage to start with. But, you can always do heat first and see how it goes.
Some fish don't do well at 90, thats why 86-88 is often recommended. IME, otos and bettas should be ok at 88-90 though. Since you are raising the temp slowly, you can always just quit raising it if the fish seem to be having problems. :)

absolutangel04 said:
Yeah, that sums it up. You can try to cure it with just heat and hopefully that will work. Otos do not always do well with salt, but its up to you if you want to try it or not. If you do, I suggest only like half dosage to start with. But, you can always do heat first and see how it goes.
Some fish don't do well at 90, thats why 86-88 is often recommended. IME, otos and bettas should be ok at 88-90 though. Since you are raising the temp slowly, you can always just quit raising it if the fish seem to be having problems. :)

I would be absolutely devastated losing Lucy, my betta and the infamous Cruella. Im attached to them all... I'll keep an eye on them closely

Back
Top Bottom