Normal Goldfish poop?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shanny

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi Everyone,

Never thought I would be posting a thread about poop! :lol:

So I have a Fantail and a Blue Oranda. Last night I noticed both have long pink poop hanging on. My husband thought they were worms. Flash's was over an inch long before it broke off. It grew twice the length in a matter of minutes after eating. This morning I checked the tank and there seems to be lots of pink poop on the gravel.

I have been feeding them TetraFin Goldfish Crisps 3x daily (very small amounts though, they finish it in about two mins) and one piece of veg a day (mostly zucchini).

I was in the big city last night and picked up some Saki-Hikari Fancy Gold sinking pellets as per advice of getting a better quality food from a wonderful lady who I met on here. Thanks Jessica!

I was researching goldfish poop lastnight :facepalm: and most sites were saying that it means they are constipated from over eating and that I should not feed them for three days and then feed only peas for a while.

What does everyone think? Any thoughts on long pink goldfish poop?

Thanks,
Shan

A little more info:

37 gallon tank
Extra fine gravel
Two plastic plants
One "Rock" formation
DIY filter (Fluval U4 is on it's way)

Fish have only been in for a week, both bought from a big chain store with overcrowded tanks and not such great water conditions.
50% pwc every 3 days
Ammonia under 0.1
Water is crystal clear
Water temp is 68

1 1.5 inch Fantail
1 1.25 inch Blue Oranda

Both are very active and look very healthy.

I don't want to starve these little guys if it is not the right thing to do.

I suspect its just from the Tetra food. Start offering them more daily cooked veggies & you should start seeing their poop reflecting the color of what they are eating- lots of greens equals lots of green poop. Then it should change color to reflect the color of the Saki (then back again to color of the veggies offered). Strands poop are fine as long as they are firm & they sink (not float). Goldies poop ALOT!! Btw, veggies dont count as a meal. :)

Yay! Thanks my dear! You are so good to me! lol

I'm glad I don't need to starve them. They love eating.

Boil peas for about 2min.and shell them. Feed this once a week or so. Only feed sinking food & presoak it.

Back
Top Bottom