Not a good start :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Meghan

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Friday I got a few fish to start filling my tank, unfortunately most that I ordered arrived already dead from shipping so I was only able to get 8 neon tetras, 3 angel fish and 3 sword tails, 1 male 2 females. I have a 75G planted tank with a SUN-SUN canister filter. I cant really accurately give my water parameters because I can only get the strips, no where online will ship API master test kit here. I have very soft very acidic water. My water was cycled 1 week with a filter and the gravel from my old angelfish tank. First few hours my tiny angelfish ate all the neons, or I assume it was them. Both my female swordtails died, they looked fine friday but by saturday morning they looked like they were shedding, I added melafix but they promptly died Sunday night. Ive attached a picture, any ideas?

Attachments

• 20140215_075536.jpg
    20140215_075536.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 49
Bummer! I'm sorry to hear you had such a lousy start. One week seems very fast to cycle your tank, even with seeded substrate. You might test your parameters (strips are better than nothing) and let us know where they are at. My guess is fungus on your fish. But I'm not sure. Maybe someone else can help you better.

I tested with the strips and got pH 6.0, KH 0, GH 0, Nitrates 0, nitrites 0. Its actually been more like 2 weeks, I for some reason thought with enough seed material you could cycle within a few days...oops. I ordered some crushed coral to add to the filter to bring the GH and PH up, should be here soonish. It looked like a fuzzy slime layer was peeling off then the fins started to fray, thats when I put the Melafix in but I was either wrong or was too late.

Back
Top Bottom