Not Another Fin Rot Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smartstuffwahoo

Aquarium Advice Newbie
But unfortunately, it is. I think my Halfmoon Betta has the fin rots. Pics are below. What do we think?

To simplify, I'll just copy the questions from the sticky

1. Betta. Fins looked badly shredded, he has no appetite, and seems extra lethargic laying flat on the tank floor. He has torn his fins lightly in the past, but never this badly.
2. The parameters are:
pH 7.5
KH 3
GH 12
NH/NO2/NO3 0/0/5
Temp 78.8 F

3. I've got a 5 gallon, natural planted tank that has been set up for almost a year.
4. Natural plant filtration.
5. The betta, and I added a cory catfish a few days ago temporarily until I can find it a new home. The catfish's fins are fine (for now) and the two don't fight.
6. 50% water change about 4 days ago. The water parameters are consistent enough that I rarely need to do water changes. However, over the past few weeks, I have noticed some of the plants seem to be melting and withering, despite being stable for months.
7. I've had the betta for 8 months. I mentioned above the cory is new.
8. Other than the cory, I added a small piece (1" diameter) of mopani driftwood. The driftwood was from the local fish store, and I boiled it for an hour before adding it.
9. I feed the betta basic Aqueon betta food, but I started adding bottom feeder pellets with shrimp for the cory.

So do we think it's fin rot?

I have a cycled 20 gallon tank with some shrimp and identical water parameters, but no mystery plant death (yet). If it is fin rot, would it be best to move Betta to that tank, in case there's something nefarious in the 5 gallon that's hurting him and the plants?

Thanks for any advice.

Attachments

• 20191209_175911.jpg
    20191209_175911.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 42
  • 20191209_175909.jpg
    20191209_175909.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 35
  • 20191209_175907.jpg
    20191209_175907.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 39
My general opinion is that the lack of water changes began limiting the plants and they got unhappy - parts degrading and compromising water quality.

The combination, with the fish likely sitting with his tail in the substrate is leaving it in a place to allow sinister bacteria to be on /around it and then damaged fins.

Thinking if you vac the substrate - or remove and redo it by gently rinsing the substrate with dechlorinated water and then put everything back in.

Adding a Betta Leaf (an artificial leaf with suction cup to place in the ideal location) in a place the fish likes to hang out.

Maybe consider adding a filter - AquaClear makes a 20, a very small but mighty and adjustable filter to help keep water quality tip top.

Fluval Edge also makes a narrow vac which will work in small spaces and tanks.

Try keeping the tank water changed like 30-50%, every day to every other day, more quantity initially and to help keep perfect water which allows good healing.

If after a few days the frayed tail does not seem to be stabilized / or it seems to be getting worse, then consider medication.

My "go to" treatment help is Epsom salts plain not additives. Up to you of course.

But create a 1 tablespoon per gallon concentrate, and begin by adding it in over the course of the next 24 hours in portions say 4-6. Kind of what works with your schedule. Just a way to add it so it isn't sudden. Though I have added it in quickly in emergency situations and saved fish.

I would continue it for 10 days to 2 weeks if the fish seems to be responding to the treatment. Then as the pwc's happen omit the ES and pretty soon it will be removed.

You make a concentrate for the pwc and it is much easier

Keep u

Salt isn't good for catfish, so I would move him to the other tank if possible. Also five gallons probably isn't enough for both the betta and cory, which could also be contributing to the betta's health deteriorating.

If referring to Epsom Salt it is not actually salt, chunky and looks like salt, but it is magnesium sulfate, a healing mineral, with many uses.

Back
Top Bottom