Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-27-2012, 11:20 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Not sure if it is ICH (White spot)

Hi Everyone,

My female bristlenose has this awful looking ulcer like sore, though it is white and on her belly it looks like she has been dusted with cornflour. She is still eating, no other fish has it in the aquarium, the aquarium has been running for ages though we moved and I used tank water not town water. I have 3 bristlenose (2 @ 10cms females; 1 @ 6 cms male) 2 clown loaches (5 cms) 5 tiger barbs (4cms). 4 neons, 5 (cant remember what they are called but are same size as neons, bright yellow with dot on their body) and a black shark with a red tail (8cm). I don't know my tank parameters, have a filter with spray at top (ceramic beads, charcoal) PH is good. please help, she looks awful

Name:   photo.JPG
Views: 466
Size:  27.6 KB

Name:   photo2.JPG
Views: 351
Size:  31.1 KB

Old 01-27-2012, 11:45 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Did you read my response to your other thread post?

Old 01-27-2012, 11:51 PM   #3

Yes thank you Holly, I posted on there, changed my water today, ph is 7, ammonia is 0. Clown loaches are happy and coloured completely (they fade if the water is not good). It doesn't look like pock marks it looks more like mouldy cheese, its ulcerated on her head, covering her tummy,,,,,
Old 01-28-2012, 12:30 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Hi and welcome!
It's not advised to use tank water in aquariums because it does not contain minerals/buffers needed for fish health and keeping the pH stable. I'd suggest switching back to tap/town water and using a a dechlorinator like prime to neutralize the chlorine. I'd also suggest you get your hands on an API master test kit so you can keep an eye on your tank conditions. I can't say exactly what is wrong with your bristlenose exactly but most likely it is going I need antibiotics to recover. We don't have antibiotics over the counter in Australia only via prescription at a vet. I am going to post some info for you to read. It contains important info on cycling and tank maintenance.
Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium
Edit: Was just thinking you could try dabbing some hydrogen peroxide on the area and dosing melifix to a hospital tank and see if you get an improvement.
Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 03:57 AM   #5

Thank you everyone, my bristlenose just died, looking at her, I suspect she has hurt herself and from what I can gather from reading on this site (really helpful) I reckon she has got a secondary infection of some sort. I will still change from tank water to town water as suggested, get a full chemical testing kit (I used to have one but ran out) and still complete the treatment for white spot etc just to make sure. I hate losing my fish, I get very attached to them, even bristlenose have their own little personalities.......
Old 01-28-2012, 04:04 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

I'm very sorry to hear that. bristlenoses are one of my favorite fish.

Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ich, spot, white spot

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com