Not sure what is going on? Help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shamu

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 55 gallon, freshwater tank have had no problems before this, it has been running for more than 2 years. I have a 4 inch pleco, 2 Tetra, a dart and a molly. ( I posted earlier that the molly had a growth she has since died). So I picked up 3 more tetras and a strange looking needlefish. I also picked up some Melafix to treat the molly (incase the growth was bacterial). Well the molly has now died along with the needle fish and all but one of my tetras. When the Molly died I did A 20% water change and all the water parameters were good. But now the fish just keep dying I am down to 3 fish. Also the remaining fish ( 5 inch Pleco, Dart and 1 Tetra) are all staying at the top of the tank? Tank temp 74. Not sure what's going on does anyone have any ideas? Could the Melafix have caused the problem?

I have a 55 gallon, freshwater tank have had no problems before this, it has been running for more than 2 years. I have a 4 inch pleco, 2 Tetra, a dart and a molly. ( I posted earlier that the molly had a growth she has since died). So I picked up 3 more tetras and a strange looking needlefish. I also picked up some Melafix to treat the molly (incase the growth was bacterial). Well the molly has now died along with the needle fish and all but one of my tetras. When the Molly died I did A 20% water change and all the water parameters were good. But now the fish just keep dying I am down to 3 fish. Also the remaining fish ( 5 inch Pleco, Dart and 1 Tetra) are all staying at the top of the tank? Tank temp 74. Not sure what's going on does anyone have any ideas? Could the Melafix have caused the problem?
Hey, sorry to hear of your lose's. I'm no expert with Meds, so can't help you there but have you got a liquid test kit???

I am assuming in it's a liquid test kit because all the little containers have liquid in them. I did not know there were different kinds of test kits? Do you recommend another? Also silly question but could something be wrong with their food? Because the pleco won't eat at all and usually he is a big eater.

I am assuming in it's a liquid test kit because all the little containers have liquid in them. I did not know there were different kinds of test kits? Do you recommend another? Also silly question but could something be wrong with their food? Because the pleco won't eat at all and usually he is a big eater.

I'm thinking it could be a water quality issue. How often do you do your water changes and how much. Do you use water de-chlorinate when putting new water in. The test kit i use is called API Freshwater Master Test Kit. This really is an essential piece of kit for fishkeeping...
You said your test results are good, is it, 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrites, <20 Nitrates??

Mine is a Mini Master (Nutrafin) Test kit. I have always done water changes about every 10 days and take out about 20%, I treat the water before putting in the tank with Nutrafin Aquaplus & Cycle & waste Control and have not had a problem until now. My last test (3 days ago) showed ph 7.5, Ammonia 0, Nitrates 0 and Nitrites 0.1. Those are the numbers I am usually at do they sound ok to you? What I think may have happened is one of the new fish brought in something (I did not quarantine as my other tank was not set up yet I have now set it up) And it is some kind of parasite or disease.

Mine is a Mini Master (Nutrafin) Test kit. I have always done water changes about every 10 days and take out about 20%, I treat the water before putting in the tank with Nutrafin Aquaplus & Cycle & waste Control and have not had a problem until now. My last test (3 days ago) showed ph 7.5, Ammonia 0, Nitrates 0 and Nitrites 0.1. Those are the numbers I am usually at do they sound ok to you? What I think may have happened is one of the new fish brought in something (I did not quarantine as my other tank was not set up yet I have now set it up) And it is some kind of parasite or disease.
If your water coming back good like that then i'm baffled. I really thought it was an Ammonia or Nitrite issue. Those numbers are ideal. I would still do a 70% water change as soon as possible. It could be something to do with the Meds or some kind of a disease. I'm not very knowledgeable about that side of things. Hopefully someone can come in with an answer for you. Sorry i can't be more help... Ian

Are there any physical problems with the fish? i.e. growths of fins or body, red streaks around gills or abdomen..etc
Can we maybe see some pics?

Ok now I am down to 2 fish

:banghead:Seriously I have no idea what has happened all I have left now is my big Pleco and 1 Tetra, I have tried everything suggested I have done water changes, I have tested the water every 2nd day and all levels are perfect. The fish have no injurys, they are eating good and very active. I know this is probably a silly question but could I have to few fish in my tank? and that's causing a problem. Any comments I would greatly appreciate.

I mean, if there are no visible signs of illness, it had to have been something internal. If the 2 fish that are left don't seem to be in any trouble, I would say the storm has passed. Sometimes things are just a mystery..
Maybe one of the fish was bullying the other ones in the middle of the night? If the water is clean and the remaining fish seem okay, you could try and get more of that same tetra to start a shoal. What species of tetra is it?

My last remaining tetra is a silver tetra and I think I will take your advice and go get some more. I hope whatever was wrong is done with, thanks for all the help

No problem that's what we're here for! Let me see a picture of the tank when you add the tetras. I'm interested!

Back
Top Bottom