Not sure what my next move should be. Please if you have any advice for me, I need it

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

whalen

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have 3 running tanks right now and is still fairly new at this. My problem is my 55 gallon tank that I had just gotten on Feb. 7 this year. I bought this tank used and it included the fish. They are 8 cichlid and a pleco. I knew that I would have to re-cycle the tank due to the fact of moving it to my place. So I was doing fine, going through all the W/C's and the ammonia levels and whatnot, then I got ich in my tank. I could see the salt-like things on them and also noticed them scratching against the rocks. I went to the pet store and bought Super Ich Cure and used it as directed, but because I was doing this while cycling the tank I was dealing with the ammonia levels and still had to do w/cs. Re-medicated for the amount I took out while doing the water changes. After the treatment was done everything looked great and they seemed to be gone. Then after a day or so I noticed them scratching again. So again I went and bought the meds. Used them the same way and still the same thing. I didn't want to continue to give the fish all those meds so I switched to using salt and heat for treatment. I have the temp at 81.5-82F and I have 2 tbsp of aquarium salt in every 5 gallons now, but got there over a couple days as not to stress the fish. today is the 7th day of the salt treatment and I can still see them scratching alot. I'm not sure if it's doing anything or not.

Now my tank is finally cycled and I'm thinking that now I should try the meds again. I'm not sure what to do at this point. I really need some advice.

I have also noticed that my 2 convicts have white on their lips and some marks on their sides. I'm thinking that it could be a fungus. They seem to scratch their lips on the rocks, almost like they are biting at the rocks. I have bought Pimafix but have not used it yet as I'm not sure what that will do to the ich. I NEED to get rid if the ich. I have seemed to have it forever.

Please any advice would be a big help!!

Last edited:
You need to bump up the temperature to 86 degrees. 82 is not warm enough. Let the temp. rise to 86 degrees (couple degrees every 2-3 hours.). Continue the heat/salt treatment for about 10-14 days.

Back
Top Bottom