Notorious dying male mollies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lakota

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone. Got some men problems. Every time I buy a male mollie(no matter what kind it is) they always always die on me. :cry: They start up with that shimmying thing and end up dead sooner or later. Everyone else that was bought with him including female mollies do fine but my boys always die. Tanks temp. @ 85, aquarium salt in the tank, and tanks being properly cycled no matter what, they always die. Anyone out there who can help me? :?:

Lakota

Ditto PlatyLady. 85 seems kind of high. I have a male molly who seems to be doing well; I've had him four months. I keep my temp at 78-80. I also add aquarium salt, but very minimal.

okay i'll try to answer all questions. :D
-I have for now a male mollie, 1female mollie, pleco, and a m/f blue mickey mouse platies.
-about the temp, I was told to get them in the breeding mood ya gotta have the temp set that high, is this not true? But, since you all are questioning the temp, i've turned it down some now and some more tomorrow.

He hasn't died yet, keeping my fingers crossed.:wink:

thanks again 0X
lakota

Me again, he's no longer shimmying, he swims around like his tail won't move. He moves around(or trys to) with just his pectoral fins. Anyone know what this is all about???

thanks
lakota 0X

I've had this same problem with my mollies, They would get a greyish hue/film over their body, be paralyzed over the back half of their body and eventually die.

and I don't think its columnaris like people told me it was..

Hi again. Sorry about your situ, not good...

As for the temp, I think mollies should be like platies and guppies - will breed in normal temps. I was told that if a female looks like she's about to give birth, but she's overdue, then raising one or two degrees might help bring on the fry.

Back
Top Bottom