Obese Oto

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smudgeboss

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have an Otocynclus that seems to be very obese. He has a bulging belly as you can see in the pictures that are attached. Problem is he is not eating the algae from the tank. Has not been eating for quite a while (a couple of weeks) We thought he was eating excess fish food so we have cut that back and he is still as large, maybe getting larger but not eating the algae. Could he have a blockage? We had a clown pleco that ended up doing this too, getting bigger but not eating algae till we found him dead.

What do you think. Is there anything we can do to relieve a suspected blockage?

Attachments

• oto_back2_181.jpg
    oto_back2_181.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 79
  • oto_belly1_412.jpg
    oto_belly1_412.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 74
  • oto_side_199.jpg
    oto_side_199.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 72
If he won't eat the peas since he hasn't been eating, you could then try QT'ing him and adding some epsom salt to the water to see if it will help relieve him. If you can't QT him epsom salts can be added to the main tank.

2 ways of using epsom salt:

A bath of 2 teaspoons of epsoms salt in 1 gal of tank water - soak fish for up to 10 minute, then remove. Watch fish closely & remove sooner to fresh water if any untowards reaction.

Add directly to tank 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoons of epsoms salt per 10 (TEN) gal.

Method one is harsher on the fish, but is more effective. I would try low concentration in-tank treatment first, and use baths only if iti s ineffective (give it a day or 2).

Everywhere I look on the net they say the prognosis for dropsy isn't good. This has been going on for a while now and he must be hurting due to the size of the bloat. Should I euthanize? I am willing to try antibiotics if some feel there is any hope. This has been a couple of weeks now and maybe I need to put him out of his misery. What do you think?

We were suggesting treatment in case the swelling is an intestinal blockage/constipation. This usually settles down in a few days with peas/epsoms salt.

The more sinister diagnosis is dropsy, or possibly ascitis (since it is looking bloated only in the belly). None of this is good. I would not waste time & money on antibiotics in the water. The only hope is injected (or at least ingested) antibiotics in case the ascitis is peritonitis from sepsis. Injections are really only feasible in big (& valuable) fish, and you need a vet (unless you work in a hospital & can "borrow" some iv antibiotics). Since the oto is not eating, your options are limited.

I tend to give sick fish a chance as long as it is reasonably active. In the end, the decision to euthanize is up to you.

I hope I am not too late. My Jack Dempsey had the SAME EXACT problem! I tried the peas, didn't work, tried epsom salt, didnt work. My last resort was antibiotics. I used "Maracyn-Two" for 5-7days of QT'ing him. He slimmed back to his normal size a day after putting him back into the main tank. However, I hope this doesn't happen to you but NOW he has BGD (Bacterial Gill Disease) still has heavy breathing and wont eat. hope i helped a little.

J

Back
Top Bottom