"Occasional" deaths?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

senemedar

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm aware of a fact that from time to time a fish can die all of sudden without any symptoms. But after losing a guppy few days a go and shrimp yesterday, I'm a bit worried...
So the question is - how often that kind of "occasional" (let's call it this way from lack of a better word?) death is happening to you?

Ps.
I - of course - tested the water immediately: Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Ph 7.6. I can't test the Nitrates properly due to a fact that my API test is out of date and according to it my Nitrates are above 80... for a tap water :D, and aquarium water's around the same level.
The tank is Aqua One 850; with original filter and extra Fluval 3plus fiter (so overfiltered, I'd say), and it's habitants are listed in my profile.

Pps.
The guppy has shown no signs at all - he just started swimming upside-down at some point and the next day he was dead.
As for the shrimp - she was swimming around like crazy for a few hours and next thing I know, she's lying on the side, dead.

I would suggest getting a new nitrate test & figuring out what exactly your tank & tap levels actually are. A reading above 80ppm is quite high. I dont know if your on city or well water or what the regulations for nitrate levels are in the UK, but in the US the EPA sets a max nitrate level of 10ppm for all city drinking water supplies.

I'll get the water tested in a LFS this weekend and see what they tell.
For some reason it's hard to find just a nitrate test... I have so many separate kits now that I'm quite hesitant in getting another full set, and the price of API doesn't help :/

Have you tried amazon or ebay for the nitate test? Its where I usually purchase the indiviual tests when I run out.

I did try eBay, but there wasn't any at the time. I'll look on Amazon, as I didn't think of it before :)

That's expensive! Throw an extra £5 and you can have a full API Master...

Anyway, just bought one from API as well, 90 Nitrate tests for £7 inc. delivery. Hope they won't be outdated :/

When I think about it, the only thing I've changed recently is the water conditioner; I used the Tetra's Aqua Safe, but the Goldfish one, not the one dedicated for the tropical fishtanks. I would think it would to be the same stuff, but who knows? I know the colour is different (yellow for the goldfish as opposed for the blue one for tropical), but can it be the culprit?

I would consider switching to a product such as Prime or Amquel Plus- they both to help to detox nitrates. I am not familiar with Tetra products & dont know what the difference between the 2 products would be.

yea i would deffinatly go with the prime 3 dollors and some change for a bottle that will last quite a while i been using it in a 55gal, 2 29gallons and 2 10 gallons for a couple months and only half gone as apposed to aquasafe i would get one water change on all the tanks and the bottle would be gone and it cost here like 4 dollors for average size bottle and takes one capfull per ten gallons where prime is 2 drops per gal to me its definatly a better price

Back
Top Bottom