ODD BEHAVIOR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

azn_fishy55

Aquarium Advice FINatic
my endler has been doing some odd things. The water level on my tank is up to where the water some out making a 'current'.One of my endler has been swimming up the current and jumping into the filter where it hits the bio-media and falls in the small water pocket and get swept back into the tank then it tries again and again. Can he hurt himself like this???

Sounds like he is having fun. :lol:

I would think he could hurt himself or worse miss and wind up on the floor.

Can I have a turn? :p

Hey if he is not hurt yet leave him to it, I bet he is having a ball!

My white clouds love swimming against the current that comes out from the filter, once or twice they have nearly made it inside!
It is funny to watch they all hang out and have turns at it. :D

Sometimes Endler's will jump, but probably the most common reason for fish jumping is to escape declining water conditions. I'd test ammonia, nitrite and nitrate to exclude that possibilty, and otherwise keep an eye on him. He could actually wind up inside your filter and definitely be hurt, or at the least be trapped.

@TG: I though another reason why fish jump is the current. If they recognize a current their instinct tells them to jump. Wasn't that how guppies move up the streams in the wild?

@kyektulu: The dangerous thing is he's not swimming against the current and into the filter, he's jumping into the filter. Therefore, he might die trying.

I would be careful with just letting him do that. He really might miss the filter like rich311k already said, and land on the floor.

Tiffi said:
@TG: I though another reason why fish jump is the current. If they recognize a current their instinct tells them to jump. Wasn't that how guppies move up the streams in the wild?

Right - that is what John Endler observed in guppies, and in fact he (maybe not so jokingly) recommends you allow Endler's to jump that seem to want to do it, and that way keep the guppy genes out of the Endler's population, lol!

I have never had a problem with guppies jumping or Endler's jumping, but if a fish is jumping the very first thing to do is to check water quality. After that you just have to try to protect the fish and hope for the best.

Back
Top Bottom