Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-17-2019, 11:18 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Odd Betta behavior

This is my first betta fish Iíve ever had. Iíve had two 55g tanks, one salt and one fresh, a 20g fresh, and a 10g fresh, but the fresh were tropical and semi aggressive tanks. ANYWAYS, Iíve had my betta in a half gallon for about a month and a half (I know, not big enough) so I decided to get him the fluval retreat 5g tank with the integrated filter. In the half gallon he was happy, constantly swimming around, flaring up all the time, ate like a champ, and always got excited when I walked in the room. Well I set up the 5g, got the filter running, added the water conditioner, let the water cool off and let everything settle for about 3 hours. I added him to the tank and at first he was curious, constantly swimming, exploring the tank, and I even put a few betta pellets in since I hadnít fed him yet, and he went right after them. I could tell the current was a little strong for him, so I tried to angle it up to the surface as much as possible until I found a solution to reduce the flow. Checked on him a few hours later and he was farting around and hiding in the corners. Not flaring up when he saw me like he usually did. This morning I turned on the light to check on him and he was just sitting at the bottom under a bridge I have in the tank. He didnít flat up or move at all. This behavior is not like himself at all. I turned the filter off before I left for work. What should my approach be when I get home and he still isnít active even after the filter has been disconnected? Also, if anyone knows, how do I turn down the flow on the filter? I read that you can do it, but when I removed the pump this morning I saw no dials on the pump to reduce the filter flow.

Thanks in advance!

Old 06-17-2019, 11:20 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

He was darting around, not farting around. LOL.

Old 06-18-2019, 07:24 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Is your tank cycled?

You may need to buy a smaller filter and put it in if possible.
Old 06-18-2019, 04:46 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Do you have a heater in there as well? Are there places for him to hide?
Old 06-18-2019, 07:25 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Fisher View Post
Is your tank cycled?

You may need to buy a smaller filter and put it in if possible.

No it is not cycled (I know slap on the wrist for me). I am thinking about putting some sponge or cloth in the back of the pump to reduce the flow. Anything aquarium safe that will slow down the intake/output rate.
Old 06-18-2019, 07:32 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraB View Post
Do you have a heater in there as well? Are there places for him to hide?

I do not have a heater, but I didnít have a heater in his other small tank. I wasnít sure if it would matter in a 5g. There are a good amount of places for him to hide. If I could post pictures I would. The app says I exceed my quota for some reason. Iíll figure it out and post a picture once i get the chance.
Old 06-18-2019, 07:42 PM   #7
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Would do ammonia test urgently.
Old 06-18-2019, 07:54 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

And add a heater, unless your house is constantly at 75f then tank size doesn't affect the warmth of the tank. You should get some beneficial bacteria from either the store or from something in one of your other tanks to cycle it faster.
Old 06-18-2019, 08:21 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delapool View Post
Would do ammonia test urgently.

Thatís what I was thinking
Old 06-18-2019, 08:22 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraB View Post
And add a heater, unless your house is constantly at 75f then tank size doesn't affect the warmth of the tank. You should get some beneficial bacteria from either the store or from something in one of your other tanks to cycle it faster.

Believe it or not the house is actually 75 degrees throughout the day and night. I do have some decorations from the other tank I could throw in there.

Tags
behavior, betta

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com