Odd coloring or is it a disease?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish_4_all

Aquarium Advice Addict
1) Neon Swords, 1 female, 1 male. First 1/4-1/3 of the tail has started to show a scale color pattern. No sign of loss of appetite or growths. Fish seem healthy and female is spawning about every 3-4 weeks. Tail shows no signs of rot and looks very healthy.
2)All tank conditions are perfect. No ammonia, no nitrites, trace nitrates, temp range from 75-80 night to day. Ph unknown.
3) 10 gallon tank set up for over 6 months, have taken samplesof water to local pet store and they have never found any problems with water inculding checked 4 days ago.
4) Underground filter with 2 stack running almost full bore, lots of water movement.
5) 3 adult swords, 5 neon tetras, 1 large and 3 small trilineatus, 1 albino cat, 1 panda cat, 12 or so baby swords, 1 unknown fish (some kind of tetra i think)
6)Water changed March 23rd, 17th, 12th, 3rd. Gravel vaccumed each time.
7) Had both fish for over 4 months.
8) Nothing different added than normal salt and aquasafe after each water change.
9) Food is a mix of many different foods from Nutrafin max to all other flakes and small pellet foods that come in aquarium setups. Frozen blood worms have been given for only about 10 days now. Swords eat as many as they can handle before the corys get to them or the smaller fish get them. Bloodworms only given every 3 days so they have only had them 4 times including today, March 23rd.

I am hoping this is just a positive color change due to the bloodworms being added to their diet. If this could be a disease, please help as my swords are producing beautiful babies with black patches over on eye and the colors are really amazing coming from a male neon, female neon and a red female with black fins.

Pic? I'm not sure I understand what a 'scale color pattern' is, are you meaning scale shapes, like the individual scales or like a prism effect :?:

I wish I could figure out how to take a decent picture to show but I will explain it better.

The pattern is light black lines that form scale like shapes. They are very symetrical and look just like the scales on the body of the scarlet sword. They are in rows, 3 deep on the female neon sword and 2 deep on the male neon sword.

(_)(_)(_)(_) is about how they look.
(_)(_)(_)(_)

Just much smaller. The neon male is the only male with the two females. The scarlet sword is showing no sign of lines but her tail is black.

Hope that helps you help me

Yes, that explanation does help,very much, thank you.
I've seen this or very similar before and as far as I know its normal :D
This is sometimes referred to as 'reticulated', definition; To be divided or marked like network, which means the scales are outlined and form a pattern.
I still would very much like to see a pic of your fish :wink:

35mm or digital? I have a better idea with digital :wink:
Clean glass, inside and out.
High amount of interior light in tank, from above seems to work best for me. Same for exterior but I try to angle it so I'm not catching glare.
Camera lens should just about touch the glass, reduces reflection(s)
A slight angle can help reduce flash glare if using flash.
Try to take the pic with the fish 8"-12' away from the lens.
Experiment.
Use a photoshop or some such for, enhancement, brightness/contrast, color, and exsposure etc...
I use Kodak EasyShare software.

The "scales" have formed into a tighter pattern and now they seem irridescent when I shine a flashlight on them. It is seeming more and more like a natural color pattern than a disease. Being a good thing it is still disconcerning to think my swords had a disease and I didn't know it. Is just another example, I guess, of live or frozen foods really making a difference in fish colors and health.

This could make for a good article or discussion about the changes seen in fish when fed a good live diet instead of just flakes.

This could make for a good article or discussion about the changes seen in fish when fed a good live diet instead of just flakes.
Yes, it would be good material...
I can't wait to see it in the articles section with you as the Author :wink:

You read any of those photography tips and linked articles I sent you?
Where's my pic.... I'm just teasing, but I really would like to see a pic of your pretty fish and what sounds like very cool coloring.

Well I guess I could do that. Would break me in to the club rather nicely.

As for a picture. I have a digital but it won't take a picture of my fish for some reason. I will try to borrow my dad's this weekend and get a couple good pictures to put on my topic. Will be a good place to post my pictures of my C. trilineatus as they have shown some awesome color enhancement since feeding the blood worms also.

Gotta start a new topic anyway because this isn't a disease, just a very happy yet uninformed enthusiast.

Back
Top Bottom