odd molly death.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HOLLIEO

Aquarium Advice Freak
I don't really have a sick fish... just a dead one. :cry:
I had an all white molly. She was so pretty. She had babies about a week ago and then yesterday, she was found dead at the bottom of the tank.
Why? Do mollies often die after giving birth? or maybe she was just old??? How long do the mollies usually live?
All of my levels are normal and the rest of the fishy's in the tank are fine. Very strange. She never acted distressed or anything. :?

How long have you had her? Its quite possible she was harboring some disease which was subclinical, and the stress of the births was enough to kick it into high gear.

Or could simply be old age. I've read mollies live 3-5 years, but have also read male sailfins live only about a year after sexual maturity. Plus, one usually doesn't know how old a fish is when its bought from the lfs (unless its a juvie).

Continue to keep a close eye on the rest of your guys just in case, but I'm guessing this was a one off situation.

Thanks allivymar. I only had her a short time, like 2 weeks. She seemed really healthy and active. Yes. I bought her from petsmart, so not sure how long they had her or how long the person they got her from, had her???
Well, at least I have her babies still (like 14 of them) :wink: maybe one will look just like her?!?!

The livebearers do occasionally die during birth. Since they essentially stay pregnant in the presence of males, she could have been giving birth and died at that time.

I had a guppy that died a week after she gave birth, she seemed normal just a little slower than usual, then one day she was doing the back stroke.

Allivymar you should change your name to Dr. Allivymar. LOL :D

Bwaaahahahaha no way. That's my lil bro's job ;) I'm just an occupational therapist LOL

Heh, and a lot of my info comes from belonging to what I consider the best websites on the net (here, fishgeeks, wetwebmedia and the angelfish forums). That and my meagre experience makes up what info I've gathered. And yeah LOL I ask plenty of questions..should have seen me panicking when my loaches came down with ich!

One of the things to remember about livebearing fishes guppys, mollies, swordtails etc. is that when they are fertilized the female only uses some of the sperm and the rest is stored in her oviduct wall. so it is possible that your female could have had several births before you even purchased her. One mateing with a male can last a female for about 6 lots of babys and if she is being harrassed by males while she is pregnant this doesn't help either. She could of died through just being exhausted. To stop deaths thru exhaustion a good ratio is 1 male to 4 females, this way it gives the female a break from the constant harrassment of the male.

i hope this was of some help.

Terry... again great info!!! Kudos to you!!
Thank you. that is something to keep in mind. I only had the one male and one female (molly) and I am sure she was totally being harrassed. She always had the male rubbing her underside with his mouth. I don't know if this is some kind of mating ritual with that species??? but, often I just sit and watch my fishys and noticed this behavior only between those two.
Like i said, I have the babies that she had. When they get bigger I plan on keeping some and i will remember the ratio you mentioned. Thanks

HOLLIEO

Glad i could be of some help, if i get bored again tomorrow i will post something on livebearing fish. look out for it.

Thanks for the kudos

Back
Top Bottom