OH CRAP!!!! snails, and an angel got its wings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

angeltank

Aquarium Advice Regular
i posted a thread the other day about my snails having cracked shells and i just now got around to checking the perimeters:( but before i get to that on of my angels died today i think it might have gotten a hold of a peace of class from my heater that randomly broke on me a few weeks back. it was doing great last night and then this morning i saw it at the top of my tank like it was looking for food but it was not moving and i taped on the glass even though im not soposed to and it didnt move so i took it out of the tank and it had a litle bit of its innerts hanging out. any idea what could have caused this? ok now back to my water

ph 7.0
ammonia .25
nitrite o
nitrate 0

so how do i fix my ammonia and my snailes hole in shell?

It seems more likely to me that your angel died due to the ammonia level in your tank. It would appear that your tank has not cycled. In a cycled tank, your ammonia and nitrite levels will always read 0, and you will have detectable nitrate (the exception might be in a heavily planted tank, where the plants soak up nitrate).

To bring down your ammonia level, you will need to change water. Do as much as it takes to keep ammonia and/or nitrite under .25. For example, if your ammonia creeps up to .5, a 50% water change will theoretically bring it down to .25. Keeping ammonia under .25 can often require more than one large water change daily. Once the tank cycles, you can back off on your maintenance and most often get away with one water change weekly... of course, that is dependent on your stocking levels. I do 50% weekly and the fish love it.

What size is your tank, and can you post a complete list of the fish and snails that you are keeping?

i now have 3 angel fish a cory cat a clown placo and 6 little snails the kind that cant bread unless they are in salt water. my tank is a 35 gallon
would fixing the ammonia also fix my snail problem?

I have apple snails who have been dying. Ive had two snails with hoels in their shells although there is more tiny little apple snails in the tank I was told the shell cracking was due to having soft water...... It's not a ammonia problem at least for me mine reads 0 and all the fish are fine

I have been on this site for over an hour looking for answers to a snail problem also. I have a large yellow shelled snail (mystery?) whose shell in the last week has started to deteriorate and turn gray. Water parameters are fine, all within range. The innermost part of the shell is turning gray and the rest of the shell looks like pieces are peeling off. Does anyone know what causes this? I got him about 10 days ago and he looked fine then.

ok i dont know what happened but i rechecked my ammonia today and it now reads 0ppm i didnt even do anything!! so any way how do i harden my water ? to help my snails shells?

I read on a site about apple snails (I think that is what I have) that the snails like water a little on the hard side and that you can help them by putting a cuttle bone in the tank. One like you would buy for a bird to nibble on. Any ideas or thoughts on this? Would that make my tank cloudy or bother my other fish? I have a pleco, 2 cory cats, 3 rasboras, 3 glowlight tetras, 3 bettas ( 1 m, 2 f), 2 otos, 2 frogs, 2 kuhli loaches and 1 apple snail in a 26 gallon fw bowfront.

what kind of snails do you have? you need to feed the snails calcium enriched food.

thanks guys i but i didnt see anything about hole in shell on that link am i missing something? and what kind of foods should i be feeding my snails to give them calcium?

Back
Top Bottom