oh no betta going downhill fast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
no problem,
I hope he is getting better, stress and ne tanks can do funny things to fish
alot like us sometimes, they dont like change much

Glad to see your betta is doing betta! I had two bettas who both got velvet at the same time and a coworker's betta who also got it (they come to me when their fish get sick, LOL). Here's how I knew for sure what it was and how I cured it.

Turn the lights off or go in a darker room with your fish bowl and shine a flash light on him, if he looks like he's been sprinkled with gold fairy dust, then it's velvet.
To treat I used a product called Quick Cure and raised the temperature in the bowl to about 85 (I used a heating pad set on low to achieve this, note, if you attempt this you will have to monitor the water temp constantly, it's risky and you don't want him to boil), couple days later, it's gone. Change water, do half a treatment, just to make sure, wait three days, fresh water.

I really wouldn't worry about the "white stuff" on his face. It looks like simple marbling. Notice how it matches perfectly with the blue in his eye and that it hasn't changed between the pics? I'd be willing to bet that it's just markings. I would STOP trying to treat it and simply observe for a few days.
Also, there is a "red loss factor" gene associated with bettas. As the betta ages, its red color fades. This occurs to varying degrees in varying fish.

In short, I would guess that your fish is not affected by a parasite or disease.

I really wouldn't worry about the "white stuff" on his face. It looks like simple marbling. Notice how it matches perfectly with the blue in his eye and that it hasn't changed between the pics? I'd be willing to bet that it's just markings. I would STOP trying to treat it and simply observe for a few days.
Also, there is a "red loss factor" gene associated with bettas. As the betta ages, its red color fades. This occurs to varying degrees in varying fish.

In short, I would guess that your fish is not affected by a parasite or disease.
So there is a gene that causes red loss, I was wondering why 4 year old betta who use to be very red more of a diluted red. I thought it was because of diet. That is good to know!!

Yes, someone had mentioned color loss/marbleing I think earlier in this thread. I hadn't noticed it before he was sick so I just wasn't sure.

Haven't been trying to treat for the white stuff for several days now. Have been treating for the velvet which is clearing. Continued progress. I did one final treatment today. He still has clenched fins, but is improving daily.

Wanted to thank everyone for the advice. Red Foreman is a new fish! He is back to his old self and living in a his own 2 gal hex (a freebie that came with a mini heater and filter!). I love freecycling!

I am glad he is enjoying his own home now. You will see him acting differently like actually begging to be fed.

He's too funny. This morning I thought that very thing. 10 minutes later I got up to feed him and he was GONE! I looked everywhere (mind you there is a lid on the tank). 10-15 minutes later it dawned on me...the rocks. It came with larger polished river rock. He had wiggled himself down in the rock and was trapped. I had to lift several rocks to free him. He's none the worse for the wear and only some minor fin damage (he was just healing up from the velvet). What a total goof. I'm off to get him a cave or something tomorrow. Obviously he wants to play hide and seek. Here's a photo of him before his little game of see if you can find me...

img_960187_0_e7a7cb16568074b7142f0648afe06781.jpg

He sure is handsome. Looks totally different than the first pictures of him.

Beautiful betta! Was thinking of giving my current stock of guppies to my lfs and going for a betta. Are they fragile at all? I sometimes have to leave for a weekend at a time and leave them to my mothers care. She does the best she can, but sometimes I catch her overfeeding...

Back
Top Bottom