Oh no I got the ich!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Durvish

Aquarium Advice Activist
Got 10 black skirt tetras from my local lfs last week and popped them in the QT tank. Watching them today I noticed three have developed the dreaded Ich! Thank you QT tank!!!!!!!!!!! Started raising the temp as I type. Getting some salt tomorrow. I was so close to giving in and saying -- Hey these guys look OK let's put 'em the big tank right now! -- Now I'm really glad I tell that little voice to shut-up sometimes!:band:

A+

How long were you planning to qt?

Last year I gave in too early on a 4 week qt (day 25 they were so healthy, eating welll and vibrant!) Two days later after I put a number of fish in four different tanks is when I saw the first white spot. Must have been hiding in the gils and I had to treat four tanks because of my impatience.

EVERYONE should read your post.

Durvish said:
Got 10 black skirt tetras from my local lfs last week and popped them in the QT tank. Watching them today I noticed three have developed the dreaded Ich! Thank you QT tank!!!!!!!!!!! Started raising the temp as I type. Getting some salt tomorrow. I was so close to giving in and saying -- Hey these guys look OK let's put 'em the big tank right now! -- Now I'm really glad I tell that little voice to shut-up sometimes!:band:

How many days in QT?

Yep, QT is a tank saver. I QT my plants too.

Sent from my Epic 4G using Aquarium Advice App

Let's see they were in QT 7 days as of yesterday when they first showed signs of Ich. I was planning on a 3 to 4 week QT. Then like I said I almost gave in to wanting them in the DT -- so now I guess it will be a forced 3 to 4 weeks!

Durvish said:
Let's see they were in QT 7 days as of yesterday when they first showed signs of Ich. I was planning on a 3 to 4 week QT. Then like I said I almost gave in to wanting them in the DT -- so now I guess it will be a forced 3 to 4 weeks!

Guess I better reconsider my QT time frame, since 7-10 days is my norn if nothing shows up.

Ever med new new fish in QT just in case, or wait for signs? I always wait, but have thought about using some multi-med just in case.

Ever med new new fish in QT just in case, or wait for signs?

That's an interesting question. I've been tempted, but generally, it is considered bad to medicate fish in any way if they don't need it.

I try to stay away from all meds if possible. That is why I am going the heat and salt route.

That's always been my position too, but given the OP's situation, it was by sheer luck and timing that they didn't infect their entire DT. Anyways, just a thought to consider and dismissed just as quickly :).

Durvish said:
Dag nab it ---- Limpet

Yep and I was referencing your harrowing experience with ick almost infecting your DT with the notion of using meds on new fish in QT, even if they showed no signs of illness.

Bad idea and dismissed.

Back
Top Bottom