Ok, I finally got my temp up to 86

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amyezar

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
How long should it be before the ICH goes away? I did a water change today and all the fish (besides the weird platys) are swimming around happily. The water temp is 86... should I go any higher than that?

I've heard atleast a week, or atleast until all the white spots are disappearing. I personally don't do the heat treatment for ich, but yeah, like I said before should be the right time frame.

Also, I have 3 Platys and the 2 smaller ones keep hiding in the rocks. I don't have any fish that are real aggressive right now and they come out to eat. Are they just nutty fish?

I use medicine to treat my ich, cures in a couple of days and doesn't effect the fish what-so-ever.

As long as your fish are still eating, you should be fine. When they stop eating then you will have a problem, but I think you'll be fine.

For the heat treatment to be effective, you will most likely see the ich get worse before it gets better. Don't panic, this is what's supposed to happen.

86 is a good temperature, leave it there. Check your fish daily, and once you see no more signs of ich, leave the temp at 86 for 2 more weeks. Then, slowly bring it back down.

I've successfully used this method a few times with only 1 loss.

Back
Top Bottom