Ok I have Ich (Ick) please help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

greatkitsune

Aquarium Advice Newbie
All the fish have already died and it has been about 3 weeks since I have done anything with the tank. I do still have living plants in the tank and a couple of snails that some how lived through the worst of the Ick attack.

I was treating the tank for Ick when the fish were still alive but it wasn't enough. I have some of that commercial Ick stuff that turns the water very blue for a bit. I have turned the heat up on my heater to the max, not sure what temp that gets it to though.

When will I be ready for fish again, what should I do before putting more fish in the tank? Should I do a couple heavy treatments with the commercial stuff again, since there are no fish should I double the strength of the treatment? Should I go ahead and try using salt like some people recommend? I need help I don't want to lose any more fish for awhile my wallet can't afford it.

Welcome to the forum.

Ich cannot live without a host, so it's likely that your tank is safe again for more fish. I would be sure that you are buying quality stock and don't put a lot of fish in at a time. Be sure to test your water parameters prior to adding more fish. Since you have not had much for an ammonia reading, there is a chance you'll enter a mini-cycle.

Use carbon to remove any remaining meds in your tank. Do not use more meds. There's no reason.

If you don't have a thermometer, get one. You should always be able to know what your tank temp is.

Back
Top Bottom