Ok, Somethings not right here...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mad Professor

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok my Fancy guppies deaths just keeps going and going. It never stops until a few days ago *Tuesday* I didn't see any bodies in my tank or stuck to the filter.
At that time, I didn't realize that the last death that happen, I had to turn off the filter just to get the body unstuck and never turned it back on. So Yesterday *Sunday* I was doing PWCs' and realize that the filter was not on. After I had done my bi-weekly PWC I turned it back on and this afternoon *Monday* I found another fresh body stuck to the filter.

Somethings not right here....
The death toll stops when my filter is off, but when on, I get the usual
everyother day death.

My tank is a 44 gallon pentagon.
Water params look fine. *As in 0 AMMO 0 Nitrite 5 Nitrate Ph 7.8*
*BTW Liquid test kit*

The filter is a magnum 350 *Correction on the filter its a H.O.T Magnum.* Canister HOB
Is the water current too much for my guppies, that their little hearts get stressed and then they die from the result of that?
Is something wrong with the media? * AC with nylon sleeve *

I can't seem to find the source of the problem. I do have a 10 gallon with 4 Tiger barbs 2 black skirts 1 emerald cory cat, and They've been fine for several months.
So I ruled out the water source of being the problem.

Thx
~Mp

Are you sure the suction of the pump isn't to much for those little guys? Sounds like you should check to see if the pick up basket is not partially clogged. If it is blocked, the suction could pull those guys to it like a magnet.

I just went in my fish room and felt my 350. It does not feel like allot of suction, but it is pulling from four sides and there is no blockage.

Try that first.

Well, I just cleaned this filter completely about 2 weeks ago and made sure nothing is block. Hell half the time I don't need to do much maintenance on it besides wash the sleeve and put it back in. *It doesn't clog up or block much.*
I've seen my guppies hang around the filter intake, and didn't have a
problem, didn't struggle I mean.
I don't think the suction is the problem but the water return may be too strong for them and I don't have anyway of adjusting the flow. I've seen them get pushed around when they try to cross it.

BTW The guppies look fine and healthy then the next day they are dead and stuck.

EDIT: Correction on the filter its a H.O.T Magnum.
Rated for 55 gallons use. Puts out 250 GPH.

I build allot of my own equipment. What I would do, is to modify the discharge of the Magnum. You can take the diverter off and slip a piece of PVC pipe over it. You may have to use some Aquarium Sealant to attach it to the pipe.

Take the PVC (probably 1/2" you will have to check the pipe size) and drill several 1/4" holes in it. Put a cap on the end and make sure you have more holes then the total size of the discharge. For that matter, you could use a 1/2"T with two short pieces of PVC pipe and two caps.

They may make somthing from the factory, but you could probably assemble it in less then a half hour. Get the gray ar black stuff, that way it doesn't bother the looks of your tank.

You have the same filter as me on my 56 gallon. I have never seen any fish have a problem with getting sucked up by the filter because it is too strong. I really don't think this is possible, the fish, even as small as guppies are strong enough swimmers to get away from the filter.

The H.O.T. magnum 250 is a hang on canister filter. If you had the filter turned off from Tuesday - Sunday, most likely what ever bacteria you had in that canister died from lack of oxygen, turning the left over water inside the canister into a toxic stew of dead bacteria. This will most certainly kill your fish if you turned the filter back on after that time period with out cleaning it.

When utilizing a canister filter, its important to remember that when the filter is turned off for extended periods of time, you should clean it before turning it back on.

Could you also post back with your water perameters if you have them. ammonia, NO2, NO3, PH, Temp, how ofter are you feeding, how often are your water changes, and what you are using to fill the inside compartment on your filter.

If you really think it is the filter causing the problem, replace the carbon holder filter with the micron cartridge polisher. See if that helps after a day. I don't really think its the filter that is your problem as long as you are doing regular maintance on it.

My specs are in my first post.
BTW I do bi-weekly 50% water changes.

I hate to break the news but my guppie deaths is an ongoing problem since 3 weeks ago. I also made topic about my problem and people said it was an acclimation problem when I added my new fish. But heres the thing I got 12 new ones ONLY 2 of them died but 7 of mine that were born in MY TANK are only 1 year olds died anyways.
2 weeks ago I replaced about 50% of the media because the first week when I noticed the first 2 deaths of my fish.

Hell it wouldn't take long to put bacteria back in the filter because of the substrate.

Keep in mind that the filter isn't the only media holding nitrofying bacteria. I clean and replace my entire filter media (especially since i do use AC) often. I do have the pro model too with bio-wheel so that helps.

What are your water tests showing?

0 AMMO 0 Nitrite 5 Nitrate Ph 7.8
Temp 79

I put my micron bio filter in the thing so We'll see.

I also plan on changing the media over to bio-stars and ceramic rings once I get the XP 1 system for my new 29 gallon. But I'm waiting to see if I still get more deaths, so I can order additinal parts if need it.
I doubt the suction is killing them but the water return current from the injection system might be the problem. I havn't found anything wrong in my test. so it something I can't test for.

everything looks good... all of my ideas you shot down :) If you find anything out let us know

guppies

Okay, this is a shot in the dark, but what is your gh, your general hardness. If I understand correctly, the problem started 3 weeks ago. Any possible way it could have changed and is now lower (softer)?? My LFSs that do not raise our tap water gh from <2 to well, anything harder, have trouble keeping livebearers healthy. Even guppies. They are great for a week or so, and then start declining. The mollies too. Of the chains stores, only one Petsmart that uses ro water (treated) and uv sterilization can keep live bearers healthy.

This might explain the odd deaths, if your water is now soft. But a pH of 7.8 does seem not to fit this idea. Man, this is confusing!!!

Anyway, good luck and hope you or someone figures it out!!!!!!!!!

I really don't know. I don't have a test kit for that. But I would assume its hard because of the tiger barbs and black skirts in the 10 gallon.

I've been bouncing back and forth for weeks trying to find the problem. But about 2 months ago from today my guppies did something weird on several PWCs. When I started the refill process, all my guppies would dive to the bottom and try to drive themselves under the gravel. I couldn't figure it out. After about a good hour everything would return to normal. But it was weird, no deaths resulted from it.

Up til about a week before I put my new batch in the tank, I lost 3 and never found their remains. I didn't think much of it I figure the cories got to the bodies before I ever noticed it.
I did a grav-vac and got rid of a few deteriorated plants *not a planted tank btw* and bought 9 females and 3 male guppies to repopulate the tank.

Now yesterdays pwc the guppies didn't do the behaviour described above.

Another one stuck to the filter. 2 of the new ones, 8 of mine.

So we can rule out media, so whats killing my fish?

Is algae a problem in your tank? Some species can be sensitive to chemicals released by certain types of algae when it dies. I know its a long shot.

Also, you should consider having a necropsy done by a ichthyologist or a fishy vet. You could be battling some sort of unseen guppy plague

No I don't have any algea maybe a little trace here and there but thats about it. My lights run on a timer for both 44 gal and 10 gal. They run about 8 + 2 hours.
Starting at 4pm and shuts off at midnight and starts again at 6:00am and shuts off at 8am.

HUH? necropsy? ichthyologist?
Where the hell do I find them?
I live in orlando, the only city without a LFS, I doubt that I'll find someone.

Necropsy = autopsy
ichthyologist = fish scientist

Chances are you'd have to contact a university or vet school to find someone knowledgable enough to autopsy a fish. But if it finds the mysterious cause of death and keeps your other guppies alive, it just may be worth it. I know others who've done it and it saved their fish (granted, they were discus...).

LOL.

*legend
Original batch = The batch that was already established.
New fish = The ones I bought from the store recently.

Anyways I lost another one tonight, one of the original batch BTW.
Its seems like lot of these Original guys are really thin. Maybe They are not eating?
I do feed flakes to all tanks. Started doing 2 times a day about 1-2 weeks ago. I usually grind it between my fingers until its small enough to drop.
I do 3 drops in the 44 gallon so the cory cats will have something left to eat. Guppies do act normal and I see them pick food off the rocks.

*if you're wondering: In the 10 gallon I drop once with nongrind flakes.*

I'm gonna have to watch carefully on the original batch and see if they eat.

I was also thinking it might be an o2 problem with the pump releasing fumes. But why now? That thing has been running 24/7 365 for 3 years now. Its a powerful one thats driving the 44 gallon, 10 gallon and the 2.5 gallon and I plan on adding the 29 gallon to it soon.
I have 2x 18" bubble strips buried under the gravel in the 44 gal and releasing a nice flow of o2 up. So I wouldn't think o2 would be the problem plus they don't seem to be breathing hard.

Maybe you're right, I might have the GOD DAMN PLAGUE!

Well whatever is killing my guppies in the 44 gallon has made its way to the 10 gallon. The only cory cat in the 10 gallon tank *There used to be 2* has finally started looking sick, its corkscrewing when it swims and is dying.
Don't know whats killing him, he was fine yesterday and I added 1 galllon of water to top off the tank, since the next PWC is the upcoming saturday *not today*.

As much as I was excited of having my first planted 29 gallon tank.
This was a big blow to me, I was hoping it would be something with the 44 gallon but its seems to be the water source thats killing my fishes.
I'm having thoughts of throwing in the towel after a good 10 year run...

I'm angry and depress now.

p.s: Orlando just sucks for aquariums. Crappy LFS and advice and NOW WATER!

Back
Top Bottom