Okay - A Plethora of Issues With My 60 Gallon Goldfish Tank Since Last Post...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Antibiotics do not treat fungus. Antibiotics treat bacterial infections. Fungus is a different creature altogether.

I see.

The meds have fairly clear instructions (with the exception of wcs)- I have not personally used either in quite awhile but I believe the dose is 1 packet per 20g (of each med).

So, my tank would need THREE packets of each, mixed, for 60 gallons based on your calculations above, correct? Do you know how many come in one box? I only ask because Petsmart's site does not specify the amount of packets in a package and I can't find any further info on it online.

I believe you may need to double dose the initial dose & then follow the 1 packet per 20g for the duration of treatment. Read the instructions. You can add it directly to the tank if you want.

As I said, the only reason I'm asking is because I did not see any online info in terms of treatment and amount of product per package -- so it's possible SIX tablets would go into the tank for the first treatment if it needs to be doubled?

And as far as my filter's carbon cartridges -- at this point, because they have been running for weeks now, possibly almost a month, can I assume the carbon is exhausted so I don't have to pull them out while dosing with the meds?

Thanks for all your continued help -- it is greatly appreciated....:thanks:

This sounds correct (dosing). I dont know if they have changed the dosing instructions since the last time I used these products (they may have), so please read the directions. The products came in a 24count box the last time I purchased it. They were packets of powdered meds (not tablets) but this may have changed as well. I would not worry about your carbon because none of it is new. Good luck!

This sounds correct (dosing). I dont know if they have changed the dosing instructions since the last time I used these products (they may have), so please read the directions. The products came in a 24count box the last time I purchased it.

Okay; I am going to go out and pick some up as soon as my local Petsmart opens. Yes, you are right, they come in a 24-count box...

One more thing about this before I run out and get the stuff and report back with any results: Does the Maracyn need to be mixed with the Maracyn II, or can I get away with using just the Maracyn II because it is supposed to treat a wider range of issues?

And upon dosing, these would be MIXED together based on the instructions for dosing of BOTH, correct? I know you posted earlier about their being mixed in a cup of tank water, but I am just confirming...

It's not remotely possible this is something other than an infection of some kind, right? I just don't want to treat this tank when there isn't something wrong and adversely affect the healthy fish in there and kill them -- or the so-called "sick" one, as I have read horror stories about entire tanks crashing and being killed off because medicine wasn't necessary...

Will these meds kill the fish that aren't affected by a problem? :(

They were packets of powdered meds (not tablets) but this may have changed as well. I would not worry about your carbon because none of it is new. Good luck!

Thank you!

Combining maracyn with maracyn2 treats a broader spectrum of bacteria (both positve & negative). As I said earlier, maracyn (erthromycin) treats gram positive while maracyn2 (minocycline) treats gram negative. In respect to whether something else is going on, only you can see your fish & only you can decide if the situation is getting is not improving/getting worse. Although you provided pics, I can not tell specifically if its an injury or an inflamed vent but I can see an area that does not look very happy. Does it look like tufts of hair/strings growing or a white fuzzy area? Or does it look like something else (look at these pics of a protruding vent http://www.bristol-aquarists.org.uk/goldfish/info/sexing-fs.htm)? You need to make this decision. If its an inflamed vent combined with the beginnings of fin rot, opt for just the Maracyn2 for treatment.

Last edited:
I rushed back with the two medicines and started putting them in...and he pretty much died in front of me...:(:(

He was stuck to one of my filter intakes but still breathing and even when I took the filter off to try and free him, he couldn't really swim. He's on his side now, floating around, taking his last breaths...

I can't believe this. I am SO ANGRY that a new fish we introduced to the tank attacked this fish and killed him....one that I raised since he was small...

:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

I want to thank you, jlk, for all your help and your condolences; this leaves a couple of more issues though...

I actually finished dosing the full strength of both Maracyns for today -- that is, six packets of Maracyn and 12 packets of Maracyn II -- but is that okay to leave in being that the Red Cap Oranda still has the sore on her back as well?

Yes, its ok. Just do the standard course of treatment as suggested by the directions & we will see how things look when this complete & go from there. Just keep an eye on your parameters as I mentioned because there may be some spikes that will need to be addressed. I truly am sorry- she was very beautiful girl.

Yes, its ok. Just do the standard course of treatment as suggested by the directions & we will see how things look when this complete & go from there. Just keep an eye on your parameters as I mentioned because there may be some spikes that will need to be addressed. I truly am sorry- she was very beautiful girl.

Thank you so much, my friend. :)

Can you tell that she was truly a female from her fins/body?

My Chocolate Brown/Gold Fantail, "Oscar," is officially gone. I just flushed him.

I am truly heartbroken; this is about the sixth or so fancy goldie we have lost in a proverbial row. Now, we're down to just two in the tank -- a Red Cap Oranda and Black Moor. :(:(:(

I don't know if I should euthenize these two and just start over, or continue medicating this current tank in its state because the Red Cap has the red injury spot on her behind as well...:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

From my point of view, I would give them a chance!

Okay, jlk...

The thing is, to continue treating with BOTH meds is going to get real expensive because I had to spend around 45 bucks for the two 24-packs today, and those packs don't last the full dose schedule for the five days. How will I know if I can cut back on the medication?

Thing is with antibiotics, you really have to do the full course to avoid antibiotic resistance. Cutting treatment short can lead to a plethora of issues both now & in the future, unfortunately. If cost is a factor here, obviously you will need to decide what options will be the best for your situation.

Back
Top Bottom