Old or sick neon tetra?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mustangman11224

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey all. I recently noticed that one of my neon tetras was a little less colorful then the other two. And under further observation I noticed his color is fading.. He's not lethargic, and he is swimming all over with the other fish. Is he just getting old or is he sick? Here's some pics.
Thanks for the help
Dan

Attachments

• image-842450588.jpg
    image-842450588.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 115
  • image-1192743746.jpg
    image-1192743746.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 123
  • image-3431660101.jpg
    image-3431660101.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 127
He might be a little stressed. They like to he in schools of 6 or more. Maybe try adding 3 or 4 more and see if he gets happy again.
Plus larger schools are prettier as well.

Neons often fade, it seems. While they are much better off in larger schools, some of them just don't hold their colour as well as others. And old age can cause fading too.

Ok thanks guys. I'll take the three I have and put them in my 75 gal with 5 more neons. The only thing is I have bleeding heart tetras, gara Rufus, guaramis, danios, plattys, and a couple others which I know won't b a problem, but are there any fish that would cause any problems for the neon tetras? And would 5 more be enouph for a small school. I don't want to over load my 75 gal. Thanks for the help Dan

Ok thanks guys. I'll take the three I have and put them in my 75 gal with 5 more neons. The only thing is I have bleeding heart tetras, gara Rufus, guaramis, danios, plattys, and a couple others which I know won't b a problem, but are there any fish that would cause any problems for the neon tetras? And would 5 more be enouph for a small school. I don't want to over load my 75 gal. Thanks for the help Dan

How big is the tank with the 3 neons? Maybe move the five to be with the three?

When my fish fade in color I vary their diet...but it seems like only one of your fish is effected so it can't be that. Try Tetra Color food, it may improve coloration all around in the whole school.

The tetra color is what i have been giving them, because the tank they are in is full of fancy guppies. I actually have too many :/ they keep reproducing and the baby's keep surviving . I have been giving them away every chance I get lol. That's why I was going to take them out of the 36 gal tank, because I have a rainbow shark, white seem pleco, 2 catfish Cory's. 2 ottos, 2 snails the three tetras and a ton of guppies :/. My next step
Is ganna have to b trying to split the females and males up. Because idk what I'm
Going to do lol.

Actually I just looked again today... And it's only on his one side... And they look like bumps now not just his color fading. He is still active... My other tetra has the same mark on his tail now. Non of my other fish show any signs of bumps or discoloration. Any idea what it could be... I can't post any pictures because it says I have exceeded my quota. What does that mean? My other pictures are posted at the beginning of this thread.

My dads neons are sadly dying off disappearing can't fid the bodies ... He ha feeder guppy glo tetra bleeding heart tetra and a couple black neon.. Started out with frayed ins like hey were nipped he thinks its glo tetra . The glo tetra were last thing added then neons began o disappear

Oh, I'm sorry. Some tetras can be nasty I've read. :/. Mines fins r ok so I think they have a disease of some sort... The two effected tetra I moved to a ten gal tank by them selves and I'll c if they get better. However I've read it's some gas bubble thing? And there's not much info on it .

I had one bleeding heart tetra and it died today no signs of amonia poisoning. Did a water change everything seems to be at a decent level. Do you think maybe it was stressed because it had no other tetras to school with?

It might be possible. Any chance it was being harassed by another fish ?

However, even though you may not have an ammonia issue now, the fact remains that the number one cause of apparently inexplicable deaths is ammonia or nitrite toxicity. It does not have to be ammonia from today or yesterday.. it can be the result of exposure weeks or months before the fish actually dies.

If you had a spike at some point in the past, fish will be damaged in a very short space of time. Fish used in cycling, if you are not vigilant about the water changes, may be exposed to levels high enough to cause this type of damage. They may appear to be ok, you do a water change and all appears to be well and you think Ok, great, I caught it in time. But in fact the fish have been damaged, which results in much shorter life spans. Some number of days, weeks or even months later, the fish dies, and it appears to be for no reason.

It's also true that today, many fish are very inbred, which can cause genetic weaknesses we may not be able to see. Sometimes that can result in premature death as well.

It isn't the best idea to keep any schooling fish alone, for sure.

Lost all of my Neon's. All ten. Added three then they all started dying. Lost a few rosboras also. Must of had a batch with a disease or something. Could of been ammonia exposure.

Back
Top Bottom