Old or sick Platy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mamabon

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My oldest fish a Mickey Mouse Platy which I've had from the beginning, 1 1/2 yrs hasn't been himself. He swims but he mostly rests on the bottom in various places. He not eating much if at all. He used to be a real piggy. I moved him to a hospital tank for 3 days with some meds. I checked the water and only the nitrates were high. I did a big water change incl cleaning the filter. It went down but I'm doing another today before I put him back. I like this little fella. He's been with me since the beginning, cycling, and power failures. I don't see anything wrong with him, could he just be old ?
Video attached.

A year and a half is short. I noticed my platys got lethargic when nitrates got up much at all.

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH Fierce using Tapatalk

Well I'm working on reducing the nitrates, did another big water change today including siphoning and filter cleaning. Ill test the water tomorrow. I like to wait 24 hours for a new reading. All my other fish including the other platys are fine. I put him back today. He ate a bit, looked for food right away skimming the top so I fed him. Thanks for the input.

Is there any other way to reduce nitrates besides water changes? I use Prime in the new water before adding it. I wonder if it can be added to the full tank to reduce nitrates. I use the Seachem test kits. My boy is hanging out in the back now but not on the bottom. I hope you are right and once I get the nitrates down he will be better.

It may be time for a d&c. At least stir the substrate and vacuum immediately. How long have you been up and running?

What is a d&c ? I have been up and running for a year and a half.

Now I notice the fish is opening his mouth a lot. Gills moving a lot more than usual.
I normally vacuum and water change 25% once a week. Clean filter once a month.
Vacuumed and did a 40% water change the other day and today as well as rinsed the filer sponges.

Last edited:
A year and a half is what I was thinking, and yes, it may be time for a d&c (disassembly and cleaning, btw) have a bucket handy for the inhabitants. Like I touched on, you can also take an arrow (if you bow hunt) and stir the gravel (substrate) and do practically the same without shocking the tank excessively.

I'd rather do something like that in warm weather when the room temperature is closer to the aquarium temperature . I'll keep checking the nitrate level and continue with the water changes. I hope lowering the nitrate will help the platy. Right now my concern is my platy. If he doesn't improve in the next couple of days I'll try meds again in the hospital tank I guess.

You'll have to remove the cause of the nitrates to get nitrates to go down. I bet the cause is just waste in the gravel. Stirring the gravel kicks that mess up. Then, your water change immediately afterwards makes it go away. A week of doing that and your tank may be good as new for another year (and pre-cycled)

Going to do another water change tomorrow . I agree with you. I do vacuum every time but when I put fresh water in it gets stirred up and I use the net to scoop up debris. I will stir up the gravel then vacuum as you suggest. Thank you.

The nitrates effected him probably because he's the oldest, or perhaps he's just sensitive to it. Just wanted to let you know I followed your advice and stirred up the gravel then did 40% water changes every other day. I'm keeping track of the nitrates weekly which has been 0.2 for the past two weeks. My Platty boy is back to himself, eating and swimming normally. I stir the gravel now as I siphon. Thanks again for your advice.:fish2:

Response:
While you don't have to stir the gravel every time, I would say a proper setup should be stirred once every six months.

I will Thank you again !:)

Back
Top Bottom