On the use of meds [some help]

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Good read Bandit. I think a good rule of thumb is if the lesion or ulcer is on the exterior of the fish the bacterial bug will usually be aerobic in nature. If the bacteria is attacking the intestines of the fish more likely anaerobic.
As for treatments, too many opinions and options out there to be certain. For me, external lesions = ultra clean water. Internal problems = garlic laced foods. IMO just as effective as chemical based meds.
I went to my favorite mom & pop LFS yesterday. Owner got in a very expensive shipment of marine fish, covered with Ick. To treat, he placed the fish in a living reef tank, and explained that as long as the fish were eating, he would feed them back to health. The guy has been in business many years. Who am I to question his methods? Next time I'll get his opinion on treating bacterial infections.
The person who composed that article certainly operates on a higher level than most.

Great read! Good to see people out there trying these things and sharing techniques (and of course yourself for kindly sharing this).

Doing this type of testing will definitely save time and fish lives however, as it stated in the article ( or posts after the article) this is for bacterial issues only. So this will only work if you know what the issue is or you know it's bacterial.
There is a good book on fish diseases that I highly recommend everybody gets as the first step. Handbook of Fish Diseases by Dieter Utergasser has one of the best diagnosing chart system for the beginner to advanced hobbyist. It uses an " If this, do that or go there approach." It's an older TFH distributed book ( Don't let that fool you) which when I just looked it up on Amazon, seems to be having a revival on the higher price. ( I guess enough people took the suggestion and started buying them up. :lol: ) I saw used from $5.55 up to $35.00 for new. ( I paid about $3.00 for my used copy a few years ago.)
Here's the thing with the book: you are not buying for the pictures or medications it suggests. You are buying it for the diagnostic charts so I suggest not investing a lot of money into the book. The disease's symptoms don't change all that much over time so what it looked like in 1989 is what it will pretty much look like in 2017. As long as the charts are in good shape, you should be good to go. (y) Once you know WHAT you are treating, you stand a much higher chance of actually curing your fish. You can then use the method of sensitivity culturing if it's bacterial and external or if it is something else or internal, contact your local LFS or internet supply house for what they have available to treat that condition.
Proper diagnosis is the key to curing your fish!!! (y)

Hope this helps. (y)

That article certainly simplified things. It appears to me that really the only way to effectively treat the most likely bacterial threats, Columnaris and Gram positive infections is through prevention. I'm thinking a regular rotation of medicated foods. Avoiding frozen and live foods, and providing an ultra clean environment. Thanks for digging up the info. Bandit.

That article certainly simplified things. It appears to me that really the only way to effectively treat the most likely bacterial threats, Columnaris and Gram positive infections is through prevention. I'm thinking a regular rotation of medicated foods. Avoiding frozen and live foods, and providing an ultra clean environment. Thanks for digging up the info. Bandit.

Just an FYI, over use of medicated foods will help build up resistant strains of diseases you are trying to prevent so regularly feeding them is not a good idea. Pre made Medicated foods also tend to have a shorter shelf life than the actual medications so using them on a regular basis will not give you your desired effect. :( Here is a link to how to make your own medicated foods so you can make it as needed. How To Make Your Own Medicated Feed | Hikari Sales USA

But you are correct in that prevention is one of the best cures. (y)(y)

Back
Top Bottom