One more ich question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Readingexcalibur

Aquarium Advice Addict
Currently starting the heat treatment of 86-88f and aquarium salt. I have 2 geo's, 4 angelicus botia loach's, 1 (petsmart) African leaf fish, 1 angel, and 1 gold nugget pleco. I am doing 1/4 salt dosage for the loach. Is the heat going to hurt any of my fish?

Alright, my aqueon elite 250w is set to 88f but my tank temp. Won't go over 85.3f. This is a problem I think!

Aqueon products tend to do this often, do you have another heater? I think you are fine with the temp.

Unfortunately I do not, I think I'll go to Walmart and pick up a regular 200watt and hope it gives my that 1-2 degree boost I am looking for. In only a nights time all of the ich spots have disappeared, but I'm going to do the treatment for 12 days at least anyhow.

Currently starting the heat treatment of 86-88f and aquarium salt. I have 2 geo's, 4 angelicus botia loach's, 1 (petsmart) African leaf fish, 1 angel, and 1 gold nugget pleco. I am doing 1/4 salt dosage for the loach. Is the heat going to hurt any of my fish?

sorry to steal your thread, but trying to learn as much as possible. I too have the botia loaches - I have 6. love those little guys!! so please explain the "I am doing 1/4 salt dosage for the loach"

thought they would be fine with a regular low dose of salt :confused:

Might want to throw in an extra air stone if you haven't already. Raising the temp can lower the amount of oxygen in the water. Last time I had an outbreak of ich I just used high temps and extra air stones, as well as leaving my light off.

HeatherW said:
sorry to steal your thread, but trying to learn as much as possible. I too have the botia loaches - I have 6. love those little guys!! so please explain the "I am doing 1/4 salt dosage for the loach"

thought they would be fine with a regular low dose of salt :confused:

I am sure they will be fine with a regular low dose of salt. I like you am very fond of my botia loaches. I was reading a thread recently that said they used 1/2 dosage of salt and lost all of their loachs. I know their are many factors such as poor water quality, but I figure I would be safe about it and use 1/2 tbsp for every 10 gallons. The recommended dose on my package from petsmart says 1 tbsp per 5 gallons. Again, this is my choice for peice of mind, I don't know if their are any studies or threads for this.

Boogety48 said:
Might want to throw in an extra air stone if you haven't already. Raising the temp can lower the amount of oxygen in the water. Last time I had an outbreak of ich I just used high temps and extra air stones, as well as leaving my light off.

Thanks for the heads up, I agree with leaving the lights off, they seem less stressed. I do not have any air stones, however, I did lower the water an inch and am using my Rena XP3 spray bar at an upward angle creating allot of water movement on the surface. I can see the billions of air bubbles being pushed all around the tank. Do you think this is enough?

xtra51 said:
i would do it for 2 weeks minimum. Maybe a month.

I'll take your advice in this, I spent 75 bucks on my nugget and I'm not about to loose him to ich, lol. My 1 year old loves the fish to so I need to make sure they are healthy.

When I had my outbreak, it was BAD. I read on a few sites that the ich has trouble finding your fish with the lights off so it helps keep the fish less stressed out and makes it harder for the ich to find them.

Readingexcalibur said:
I'll take your advice in this, I spent 75 bucks on my nugget and I'm not about to loose him to ich, lol. My 1 year old loves the fish to so I need to make sure they are healthy.

Haha sounds good!

Boogety48 said:
When I had my outbreak, it was BAD. I read on a few sites that the ich has trouble finding your fish with the lights off so it helps keep the fish less stressed out and makes it harder for the ich to find them.

That's cool actually, my wife is freaked out by the fact they have eyes, well that and there are thousand of parasite organisms swimming around our family tank. lol

That's cool actually, my wife is freaked out by the fact they have eyes, well that and there are thousand of parasite organisms swimming around our family tank. lol

Ha! It creeps me out too. Tell her get some dish washing gloves. When I found out I had worms in my substrate (gone now) I freaked out and bought gloves that go up to my elbows, I was afraid to stick my hands in the tank. Not anymore though. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom