One sick neon tetra

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rustedscrapmetal

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Here is the problem. I have a healthy school of neon tetras, except for one. I have had this school for a year now, and none have exhibited any problems, all tetras appeared near identical.

Then I start noticing only one of the tetras swimming by himself most of the time. I thought nothing of it, since he would eat in a healthy manner with the others. However, recently I noticed that his spine has started to slightly curve. The red on the tail is not as bright, and seems to have slightly blackened actually. There seems to be a slight white scrape on the fin as well, but it does not appear to be fungal. It appears to be a white scrape.

I have isolated this fish in my medication tank. He still is eating healthily, but symptoms are not improving.

Specs on the tank he came from: 55 gallon community non aggressive. pH: 7.4. Ammonia: 0. Nitrite: 0. Nitrate: 15ppm.

Medication tank (incase info needed): pH: 7.4. All else is 0. He is the only one in there. 10 gallon. Been treating with Tetra Lifeguard all-in-one treatment tabs as directed, as well as aquarium salt.

No picture, as it is hard to snap a shot of a small darting tetra.

Any suggestions? Is it fatal? Is it just a livable defect? Should I euthanize?

Can you post a picture? There are two things that come to mind right now, though I am by no means a fish doctor. The first is neon tetra disease. (Or maybe false neon tetra disease.) Or fish TB. So technically that's three. None of these have a good outcome, I'm afraid. You might want to look them up and see if any symptoms are similar. Neon tetra disease and fish TB are very contagious, and you yourself could catch fish TB, so I would be very careful and clean up really well after you put your hands in the tank.

I am not trying to freak you out, so don't freak out! It could just be a natural deformity! Try to post a pic of you can!

Hope this helps.

It's looking to be one of those three. He seemed to slightly improve with medication, but only slightly. Still alive in the iso tank. I know the scoop. If I get a rash, I go to the doctor immediately and tell them I work with fish keeping. But for now, I have too large a heart to euthanize the poor guy since he still eats happily. If it gets worse or he stops eating, I'll get the clove oil.

Will do. The white patches went away a bit, not as severe. But most of the red tail fin still has black speckles, and the spine is still slightly curved.

I decided to euthanize the fish. Poor little guy was twitching about, and after further inspection I found he was spitting out all his food.

I put him in a gallon of water from his medication tank, and slowly poured in 250 mL of tank water mixed with clove oil. When he was anesthetized and only his gills were flapping slowly, I quickly cut off the head.

I was told this is a painless way to go, since clove oil is an anesthetic that puts them to sleep. I feel bad for him still.

Back
Top Bottom