only ich or something else? (newly cycled tank)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just saw Glofish in the store for the 1st time... noticed they had black lights on them. Did you have a black light? That wouldn't be enough light for plants. Maybe that's why your Java Fern/Moss died?? (I forget which 1 you had.) And maybe those plants dying is causing this Ich treatment & fish illness to be going awry? Just a thought I had...

I believe i had 100 tbs in it and its a 55. So about 2tbs per gallon

tablespoons? I don't even have 2 teaspoons per gallon. With temp at 86 I was hoping the spots would be gone by now, but still there this am :(

tt - good thought but I don't have blacklights. I do have an led fixture, so I guess that isn't giving out enough...

Should I up the temp more in case I have a resistant strain? or add more salt even though the glofish seemed to hate the last increase??

:hide::hide:

**** it! Sorry i meant teaspoon. I always get those two mixed up.:mad: o and the salt might kill some of your plants btw. If u want to save them take them out but dont put them in another tank because it will spread the ich.

I think increasing the temp woud be pushing it actually i wouldnt even ynk about putting the fish in anything higher than that. Add more salt but as it says in the video go slowly and dissolve before you put it in with the aquarium water. I did 12.5 teaspoons every hour, four times on the first day. Thr next day i did 12.5 every 4or 5 hours, 4 times. I have a 55 so that would be a total of 100 teaspoons. About Two teaspoons every gallon. I even have rummy nose tetras which i would think are a little more sensative than the glow tetras. The key is to go SLOW. after your first two or three days of dosage. Leave the tank as it is for 7 days. If you need to do a water change make sure u know how much water your taking out and replace the salt. So if u gake out 5 gallons of water. Dissolve 10 teaspoons of salt into the new water befor pouringit in. On the 7th day when u see that there is no more ich only do water changes of a max 10% because it will most definitely stun and kill your fish if you do the regular 40-60%. I did 10% every day 8-9 times then waited a week and did my normal water change.

ok still at 86 - have been over a week and still one white spot on a neon :(

I am slowly adding more salt, but they heat really should be taking care of it no?

The glofish that was laying at the bottom looks pretty good. One neon is looking a little iffy (with the spot, not eating well....)

Aww... I'm still following & hoping for the best!! I feel like it's headin in a good direction & you'll pull thru a better fish keeper & it'll be that much more rewarding thru your experiences.

thanks, I am just sad that it was supposed to be fun for the kids (esp my 7 year old) but it hasn't been :( we were both so excited and I felt pretty confident going into this :(

thanks for asking TT! Still hanging in there. Haven't lost any more fish - yay. My glofish still looks touchy sometimes (hanging at the bottom) but seems like a resilient little guy.

Neons actually looked pretty good the last couple days. Been almost a week since I saw the last spot. I think I got pretty young neons, they seem tiny compared to ones I recently saw in the store.... Will probably slowly start dropping temp wed or so....

Well, it sounds like you battled the disease, AWESOME! I hope Glo-y hangs in there!! Maybe you saw Cardinal Tetras at the store they look almost identical except they're much larger & their red extends their whole body instead of just midway to the tail on Neons. Keep up the good work! LMK how the temp lowering goes!

Nice to hear the tank is recovering. Be sure to do solid water changes to get the salt out of the water column.

thanks to you both. things seem to be doing ok. I keep thinking I am seeing a spot on a tetra, but I don't think it is ich....

tetras still seem iffy, but time will tell I guess.....

just above an eye - I think it may just be a reflection off a scale. hope so, time will tell....

Ok. Sometimes location can give you a clue on what disease it is.

How's your tank? I'm awaiting a new tank stand for my new 29 gal which arrives tomorrow. I will hopefully be setting up the new tank soon! I've been oscillating between adding to my community in it or just making it a clownfish saltwater tank. Decisions, decisions...

I hope no news is good news!! My tank is set up. Threw some Eco-complete in there so I guess I'm going FW!! Just gotta get a cycle going w/ some borrowed media from my other tank & put some plants in. I hope your tank is doing better!

hey! just got back from vacation. everyone looks pretty good. one neon looks a little raggedy for lack of a better work. fins a little frayed (have been for at least a week) and maybe some little bumps around mouth?

Congrats on getting your new tank set up! I need to get my 10 gal qt set up....

Back
Top Bottom