Opaline Gourami - Body/Spinal Deformity?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CoreyLynn

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have two gourami that I have had for a little over a year. They have always been healthy and happy, but lately one of them has been showing some very worrying signs. He lays down in the same corner of the tank for most of the day. He will come up to eat and he will come up to say hi when you walk up to the tank. Since he's been doing this, his body has started to become deformed. His spine is turning into a kind of "S" shape and when he swims his movements seem difficult. I will attach a few photos. IMG_4176.jpg
This is the corner he always lays in. He is almost always in this same position when he's down there.
IMG_4173.jpg
This photo shows you the difference in his body shape compared to my other gourami.
IMG_4174.jpg
A shot of him for the back, at the surface.

Can anybody tell me what's happening to him, what caused it, and if there's anything I can do for him?

Unfortunately there is nothing you can do for him.It could be vitamin mineral shortage or a number of disease.At this stage recovery is bleak.
Don't let articles or others panic you about a nightmare diagnosis...
MANY disease have bent spine as a symptom.
I would remove the fish and euthanize before it possibly spreads if it has not and to prevent any other fish from eating it when he dies as this is a almost 100% way to spread disease...
Sorry about your gourami,
Tom

Unfortunately there is nothing you can do for him.It could be vitamin mineral shortage or a number of disease.At this stage recovery is bleak.
Don't let articles or others panic you about a nightmare diagnosis...
MANY disease have bent spine as a symptom.
I would remove the fish and euthanize before it possibly spreads if it has not and to prevent any other fish from eating it when he dies as this is a almost 100% way to spread disease...
Sorry about your gourami,
Tom

Tom,

Thank you so much for the quick reply. This is very upsetting as I love my fish, but I am happy to hear it's most likely not something that will spread. My other fish have shown no signs or symptoms of any type of discomfort.

If there really is no help for him, do you maybe have a suggestion on how to euthanize him? I hate the idea of just flushing him...:/

Thank you again!

- Corey

Many use clove oil or vodka to euth...
I like iced cold water in a cup but larger fish take a little longer to pass then less the 10 seconds for small fish...
Know you did great for him for the year plus you had him .
Many fish and hobbyist don't make it as long as you have...
Sorry again,
Tom

I would put him in the freezer. Kills him quickly. I had to do it once.

Back
Top Bottom