Opinions please :-(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

catnicki1978

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Can you please look at the pics, our Comet seems to have a lump/growth just behind his head, we have only noticed this in the last 24 hours, it's on his right side (left as you look at the 2nd pic)

Attachments

• IMG_20140912_145720.jpg
    IMG_20140912_145720.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_20140912_150111_hdr.jpg
    IMG_20140912_150111_hdr.jpg
    228.4 KB · Views: 65
It has been suggested to me that it may be another symptom of Ammonia poisoning from where we removed all of the gravel in one go, has anyone experienced this before?

It has been suggested to me that it may be another symptom of Ammonia poisoning from where we removed all of the gravel in one go, has anyone experienced this before?

Are you testing the water parameters? Is it possible you accidentally triggered a mini cycle? I know some of the beneficial bacteria adheres to the substrate so maybe that is what triggered it? Have you been treating the water with prime? How are the other fish?

Yes, testing twice daily, Ammonia 0.25, Nitrites 0 but Nitrates seem to have risen to between 60 and 80!

I think people are saying this is still a result of clearing the stones three weeks ago before he fell ill.

The other fish are fine, very strange.

Yes, testing twice daily, Ammonia 0.25, Nitrites 0 but Nitrates seem to have risen to between 60 and 80!

I think people are saying this is still a result of clearing the stones three weeks ago before he fell ill.

The other fish are fine, very strange.

With my non-expert opinion, it sounds like there is a mini-cycle going on. It has been suggested to me in the past that I do smaller, partial water changes to lower the nitrates.

It's 125 litre but we collected our new 350 litre tank yesterday and are in the priocess of cycling it ready to move them over. Someone else has suggested leaving the Comet in the 125 for a while on his own and just moving the other 2.

Back
Top Bottom